Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matthew08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2014, 05:31 AM
    Kidnapping charges
    Can someone tell me what i need to do I live in Georgia and in my divorce papers it says that there has to be a 30 day noitce if I move or if my ex moves we have 3 children I was in jail when she got the divorce and the judge gave her sole custody of the children but i have supervise vistation I just found out through a family friend that she and her boyfriend has taken my children and moved to baton rouge la in the state of georgia the law is that you can not not move out of state with the children unless the other parent agrees to it I need to know if i can file kidnapping charges against them for taking my children without my knowledge and consent and where do I go to do this.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 3, 2014, 05:34 AM
    You call the police, not 911, the daytime office hours number, or you go to the nearest station in person (which is what I would do).

Unfortunately cases like this don't get very far. She will probably get away with it. If you can afford a lawyer, interview one or two before you plunk down any money.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2014, 05:50 AM
    "I need to know if i can file kidnapping charges against them"

Filing kidnapping charges helps your children how? I know that you are upset about her taking the kids, but in dealing with all of this, you two parents should have the best interest of your children as the first and only goal when it comes to the kids. Deal with it like mature adults without impacting the children.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 3, 2014, 06:28 AM
    "GEORGIA STATUTES AND CODES § 16-5-40 -... Kidnapping (a) A person commits the offense of kidnapping when such person abducts or steals away another person without lawful authority or warrant and holds such other person against his or her will.. . "

So no. There is no evidence that she is holding the children against their will. Parental "kidnapping" (i.el: violation of a custody order) normally is not the same as criminal kidnapping.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2014, 07:34 AM
    In Georgia this is civil, not criminal.

You hire an attorney, file in family court, for her in violation of the order. She will be served notice to return the children to GA. Ask the court to find her in contempt.

Depending on your background, and ability, request custody of children, at least temp custody, because of her violation.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 3, 2014, 07:39 AM
    Filing a police report sets the date and starts a file saying she violated the terms of the court. They will direct you to what to do next.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2014, 10:07 AM
    The first question is; have you missed a scheduled visitation? Where is your scheduled visitation supposed to take place? If you haven't missed one when is the next one scheduled? Have you confirmed the move?

No this is not kidnapping. However, it is contempt of court. So you need to go back to the court that issued the order providing you with Supervised visitation and ask that they be cited for contempt of court for violating the court order for your visitation. You may be able to force a change in the custody order to give you a different visitation schedule.

While it isn't kidnapping it might be considered parental kidnapping. If they moved and are hiding the children from you, not letting you know where they are and not allowing you contact, then they may be cited for parental kidnapping.

So, if you have missed a scheduled visitation or can prove the move, then go back to court and file for a contempt citation for violating the court order. If they have not informed you of their location and are not allowing you contact, then after going to court I would visit your local FBI office and report it to them as well.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2014, 01:56 PM
    How long ago did the move take place ?
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jul 3, 2014, 02:13 PM
    One other question, are you paying child support and are you up to date? If you are paying, I would holdup payments until this is resolved. Make sure the money is placed in an account with the approval of the court and your lawyer.

Jul 3, 2014, 04:24 PM
    One other question, are you paying child support and are you up to date? If you are paying, I would holdup payments until this is resolved. Make sure the money is placed in an account with the approval of the court and your lawyer.
    Support and visitation are generally held separately from each other. I would not withhold support without court approval and I doubt if the OP would get it.

Jul 4, 2014, 11:09 AM
    Like I said with court approval. Withholding support might be a positive move to get the wife back to the state. Besides, how is he going to know where they are? Or, where to send it.

Jul 4, 2014, 11:12 AM
    In many cases, support payments are made through an agency and forwarded to the recipient. If payments were being mailed, they can be mailed to the last known address. But I think the issue is moot since I doubt if a court would approve stopping payments.

Jul 4, 2014, 01:16 PM
    But not all. Sorry can't quote you because it is a pain to do so.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2014, 08:39 PM
    In Georgia, child support and child visit are separate, In Georgia, if there is a court order for support, it MUST be paid, period, until you go back to court and get that order changed.

Georgia will put you in jail, very quickly. For non payment, or suspend your drivers license.

Going to court, for custody or to find other person in contept, is what you do, not withhold payment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental kidnapping charges? [ 6 Answers ]

I took my son from my wife a few months ago. The house we were leaving in had mold and bugs and he was sick.I feel like my son was being neglected and the house being like it was is a form of abuse. My wife had us living with her family. She quit her job and we were forced into moving in there . I...

Can a father file kidnapping charges on the mother if there is no custody order? [ 7 Answers ]

I have two kids that I take care of all the time without help from the biological father. The father is in jail and has a criminal history. He is court ordered to pay child support but does not pay that either. I live with my mother and father, and recently my father has been given a promotion and...

If I move and take my daughter could I get kidnapping charges [ 5 Answers ]

If I move and take my daughter could I get kidnapping charges if theirs no court orders and I'm not married.

Problem business client - Are NSF charges considered 'bank charges?' [ 1 Answers ]

If there is an IRS audit and some bank charges are actually NSF fees. Do you think the auditor would have problems with this?

Can I get kidnapping charges for moving my kids out of state [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my husband met and the army and were married in the army we moved to Missouri near his family when we got out well my family is in louisian I have told him over the 3 years of being here I was unhappy here I don't like being so far from my family he has told me he would move to Louisiana...

View more questions Search