Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kerryjo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2014, 09:34 AM
    Can I take a garage to court for continuous faulty repair on my car
    My head gasket went on my car 8 months ago. I took it to this garage and they repaired it. After picking it up I knew it wasn't right. I took it back several times and said it wasn't right. Nothing was done. My head gasket went 4 weeks ago. I took it back for repair free of charge to which they had it for 4 weeks and did not tell me that it would take so long. The gentleman who repairs head gaskets was on holiday but I was not told this. I got my car back on Monday but I am now again taking it back as it is still not fixed properly and my car is faulty again. This has happened several times. I need my car everyday as I am registered disabled but I am continuously left without a vehicle when they have mine. They did give me their courtesy car but I had to wait 2 weeks for this to happen. I need help please I am sick of my car always being faulty because they cannot fix it properly
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2014, 09:41 AM
    Buy a new car. Or Rent one like most people have to when their car is broken down.

Seriously.. they are called courtesy cars for a reason. They aren't obligated or required to give you one... and if they even have one or a few someone else might be using them already and there won't be one for you. Physical ability or lack of it changes nothing.

Its easy to point fingers not hearing what they are dealing with... If it's a broken down high mileage vehicle that's worn out... or one of certain vehicles with a known and long History of having head gasket problems from the time they were new. As only two examples... certain Dodge minivans with a 3.6 V-6, or certain ford 3.0 V-6 engines... (there are others too). No mechanic on the planet could fix one of those permanently....and if the engine was ever overheated....without a complete and total rebuild (including machining the block and head(s)).....MOST of the others will have problems such as that.

What do you have, and what engine is in it so maybe someone would know if its one of those.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2014, 09:49 AM
    In addition to what smoothy has mentioned, can you get recommendations from neighbours, friends, coworkers, etc. for another garage to take it to from now on?

Jul 2, 2014, 10:38 AM
    Can I take a garage to court for compensation for faulty work on my car
    My car broke down 8 months ago so took it to the garage for repair. After collecting the car something still wasn't right. I took it back they said it was fine. After continuous times saying the same thing my head gasket went again 4 weeks ago. They had it this last 4 weeks without giving me a reason why it was taking so long. I got my car back Monday and it still isn't right. I am taking it back tomorrow as I'm sick of my car being faulty for the last 8 months and finally going again and nothing being done. I need my car as disabled but they continuously do faulty work then I have to take the car back

Jul 2, 2014, 10:42 AM
    I have a range rover 4.6 v8 and the car was in great condition when I bought it. Would love to be able to afford a new car but that's not possible right now. Range rovers are meant to last. The reason head went the 2nd time was because they didn't checked the cylinders and that was the cause this time. I have repaired a head on a BMW I had previously and it was absolutely fine and that had higher mileage than my car now.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 2, 2014, 10:45 AM
    On the basis of what you have told us, we don't know if the garage is liable.

I suggest you have another mechanic look at the car and determine exactly what the problem is, and if it is something the garage should have fixed. If so, you will perhaps need your new mechanic to testify (as an expert witness) when you file suit. I will perhaps come down to which expert is more credible.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2014, 10:54 AM
    BMWs are a totally different beast than Range Rovers are mechanically (BMW's are far better engineered, I'm a Mercedes Guy myself but I wouldn't take a Range Rover if someone gave it to me)). How many miles are on it?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 2, 2014, 11:15 AM
    You may have bought into the hype but no, Range Rovers are not meant to last...not these days. There is a reason that they go for such low amounts at the dealer auctions...

So you say you kept taking it back because something wasn't right but you're not telling us what it is that wasn't right..."something" isn't specific enough. What was wrong with it?

You also say it went back again because they didn't check the cylinders...not quite sure what that means. I was a mechanic for 17 years and when doing head gaskets, we didn't ever check cylinders. The head is checked for cracks and warping but cylinders don't get checked.

All that aside, AK lawyer is correct. You need to take it somewhere else, get their opinion, and maybe then you MIGHT have a case that you can win.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2014, 11:21 AM
    Exactly Odinn7, a 10 year old Honda Civic with 250,000 miles is worth twice what a Ranger Rover with 100,000 miles on it is. And is far more reliable.

Jul 2, 2014, 01:52 PM
    The cylinders reply was what the garage told me. I know the cylinders have nothing to do with it. If they go the car will just be horrible to drive. The garage I went to said that 2 cylinders and this blew the head. So as you can imagine I know they are talking c**p. I have had my friend who is a mechanic look at it and he said by the sounds of it it's the manifold as you can hear it blowing as well. I will see what this garage says but I'm taking it to my friends garage in a few weeks for him to look over the engine for me. Thanks for all comments so far I do appreciate them
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2014, 02:05 PM
    I drive older vehicles... because I want to, not because I can't afford a new one. I do my own work, and I have more than one because if one breaks down... I have another to drive while that gets fixed without paying the high rental vehicle rates, and because I'm cheap... my vehicles are old enough I don't pay a dime of personal property taxes which I view as extortion to be allowed to own a vehicle every year. And they are all legally Antiques. I have six antiques if you include my antiue Motorcycle, Three of them Mercedes.. It might be worth considering getting a second vehicle for that reason... It can be older, I would consult with Consumer reports and someone knowledgible you trust as to which, and have it thoroughly checked over by an independent mechanic before you purchase (might be the best $100 or so you will ever spend).

Much more peace of mind than you would have if your one and only vehicle breaks down. Which, believe me I know is stressful.

Jul 2, 2014, 02:20 PM
    Yes definitely is very stressful as need a car for my reason and also 3 kids to boot. Think a new car is in order to be honest. I'm fed up with this whole back and forth to the garage with my car. And again thank you for all your advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two switches (two separate lights) with continuous feed to garage door [ 0 Answers ]

How do I wire the three wires so that the garage has continuous power. I thought I had duplicated the wiring when I replaced the switches but those switches were 40 years old and these are obviously much younger , so not quite the same. The lights work but not the garage door. (A diagram would be...

If I pay my auto garage debt off before court date do I still have to attend court [ 1 Answers ]

I owe some dollars to my garage mechanic. I was paying every month but then the billing stopped so I thought it was paid off. It wasn't. Now they want to go to small claims court to get the money. I have the full amount of the debt right now so if I pay the debt off on 7/9/12 would I still have to...

How to repair a faulty gauge on a 1967 ford ltd [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1967 Ford LTD with a faulty fuel gauge. The previous owner replaced the part in the tank with no luck. How do I trouble shoot this problem?

Faulty Car Air Conditioning [ 6 Answers ]

Hi the air conditioning in my Tacuma only blows out cold air I know the blower works at full blast so it can't be that and I have also topped up the coolant levels so as to rule that one out but it still won't blow out hot air has anyone any ideas why this could be please? Cheers

Claiming compensation for a faulty car [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I recently bought a car from a Peugeot dealer in the Midlands (UK). On driving it home I noticed that the steering wheel tremored when the car was travelling at 65mph and the tremoring got more violent with increasing speed. This problem persisted for 2 weeks, until I crashed the car,...

View more questions Search