Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rman33 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2014, 10:51 PM
    Shower cut off valves
    I wanted to stop water dripping from my shower head by putting an inline cutoff valve before the head. The first valve leaked so I tried another one and it too had a slow drip. I looked on EBay and was amazed to see that they are made to leak. (?? ) Here is the link: Chrome Showerhead Control Valve Shower Head Controller Chrome | eBay Is this true? And why do they call them cutoff valves if they don't actually cut anything off?
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Jul 2, 2014, 03:30 AM
    Rman,
    A " cut - off " valve, installed as you have described, may cause a cross connection between the hot and cold water piping...
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Jul 2, 2014, 03:36 AM
    This can result in hot water migration - the hot water will cross over, and displace the cold water. In extreme cases of cross connections, I have seen hot water delivered at most cold water faucets in a home...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 2, 2014, 04:42 AM
    Hi Rman

I agree with Mike45. Why not simply repair the shower valve itself and stop the drip altogether the right way? In most cases, you shut off the water to the house, disassemble the shower valve and install replacement parts.

Back to you...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 2, 2014, 07:11 AM
    I have had a showerhead cut off valve installed on my shower arm for years with no problems. This allows me to shut off and soak up without having to temper the water again. It works great for me and over the years has caused no problem with a cross connection. I agree with Mark that this is not the way to address a leaky shower valve although it sure makes taking a shower easier. Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images

Jul 2, 2014, 07:44 AM
    The reason I did this initially was to buy some time before I could get the shower valves repaired but I liked the idea of having a single knob control the water flow plus the water temperature was always slightly warm. I did not experience any problems with migration. The only problem I have is it still drips. What I am asking you plumbers is, in your experience. Are all valves like this designed to leak slightly? I am skeptical because on that EBay site it says it is an FDA regulation. Food and Drug regulation for plumbing??
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 2, 2014, 09:51 AM
    What I am asking you plumbers is, in your experience. Are all valves like this designed to leak slightly?
    now would be a good time to tell us exactly what design faucet that you have. Is it one handle or two knobs? Water valves are designed to contain water pressure and not to allow any leakage.
    I am skeptical because on that EBay site it says it is an FDA regulation. Food and Drug regulation for plumbing??
    Say What?? The Feds say that all valves should leak a little? What will nonsense! If you give us information about your valve we can help with the repair. Back to you, Tom

Jul 2, 2014, 11:38 AM
    Speedball1, the valve I am asking about looks like the one in your post.
    Does yours have a slow drip and have you looked at the EBay
    Link to read about the valve there?
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 2, 2014, 01:34 PM
    the valve I am asking about looks like the one in your post.
    now I am completely confused. I asked what type of shower valve you have that leak and you point back to the image of a shower arm cut off valve.
    Does yours have a slow drip and have you looked at the EBay
    Link to read about the valve there?
    One more time !!Valves are not designed to leak!! If your getting plumbing advice from E Bay then send me the link that says fall faucets are designed to leak a little because that is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard. PS please do not furnish us with the information that we require we cannot help. Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 3, 2014, 06:49 PM
    I am kind of puzzled over the eBay post claiming the valve will drip - and that it is OK for it to drip. As Tom said, valves are not suppose to leak. Be careful before you buy from that eBay seller.

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cut off Valves [ 9 Answers ]

Plumber put two cut off valves under the kitchen sink. But when they are wide open There is no pressure.. Water has a low stream. Rest of the house is okay. Did he do something wrong. The water cut off okay.

Shower valves replacement [ 0 Answers ]

My house is approximately 20 years old and the current fixtures in the bathrooms are Price Pfister. They are the plastic knobs that pull on and turn right or left to adjust the water temperature. We have had continuous problems with the knob being very difficult to pull on, and we have replaced...

How big should the cut out be for a shower handle on a stall shower [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of having a stall shower installed and the handyman has cut a large hole in the wall to get the shower handle through the side of the shower. This hole will be covered up by the metal covering for the shower handle but I'm concerned that there's such a large hole under the cap....

Shower valves [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower (no tub). I want a shower valve that will allow high volume cold water -like when you want a cold shower. My past experience with pressure balanced valves is that at the cold end of the scale, the pressure drops too low. What kind of valve should I be looking for?

Shower diverter valves [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a new shower with both 3/4 and 1/2" supplies on opposite sides of the space. I intend to have multiple body sprays and a shower head on the 3/4 side, and one spray and head on the 1/2 side. I am in need of info about what types of valve(s) I can use to simplify and reduce cost. Are...

View more questions Search