Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thhuggins Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2014, 10:15 PM
    Inherited property wanting to sell
    I inherited 3 acres of land from my deceased father. The total amount of land is 12 acres. My grandparents divided up between my father and Aunt. I'm paying the taxes on it, and I want to sell my 3 acres. I don't know what steps to take to divide the land without backlash from my Aunt. We are in South Carolina. Any feedback will be most helpful!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2014, 05:12 AM
    First question is how is the land titled? Check with the county recorder of deeds to find out. If the 3 acres id described and titled in your name, then you just put it up for sale. If not we need to know how its deeded and described on the county rolls to advise.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 2, 2014, 06:13 AM
    I'm not sure what you mean when you write that your grandparents "divided up" the land and you inherited the 3 acres.
    1. Did the grandparents execute a deed to your father specifically describing a particular three acres?
    2. Did your father leave this to you in a will?
    3. Was this will probated (I.e.: an application made to the court to appoint a personal representative and to administer the terms of the will)?
    3. Did the PR fully administer the estate (by executing a deed to you)?

If the grandparents did nothing but say that the aunt gets this and your father gets that, you will have to first have your grandparents' estate probated; the probate court could direct that the property be subdivided and you and your aunt get appropriate shares (assuming that you can prove that you are your father's only heir).
    thhuggins Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2014, 06:41 AM
    My grandparents did put it in a will for my aunt & father to inherit 6 acres of land a piece. I have a document, a family trust, which specifically states my father's 6 acres are to be divided 50% to me and the remaining 50% to my brother.

There was nothing to probate, the house automatically when to my stepmom. I checked with the courthouse, the land is deeded in my aunts name. I'm just trying to find out what I need to do to with the trust document to sell what was left to me.

I don't want to continue to pay taxes on land I do not want, but can be beneficial to me if sold.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 2, 2014, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thhuggins View Post
    My grandparents did put it in a will for my aunt & father to inherit 6 acres of land a piece. I have a document, a family trust, which specifically states my father's 6 acres are to be divided 50% to me and the remaining 50% to my brother.

There was nothing to probate, the house automatically when to my stepmom. I checked with the courthouse, the land is deeded in my aunts name. I'm just trying to find out what I need to do to with the trust document to sell what was left to me.

I don't want to continue to pay taxes on land I do not want, but can be beneficial to me if sold.
    How did the land get from your grandparents to the trust? If the grandparents conveyed it to the trust while still living, their will is immaterial. Assuming that the trust is done properly, it is only necessary that the trustee convey to you, your brother, and your aunt (What you mean by "There was nothing to probate, the house automatically [went] to my stepmom." is unclear. Is this house also on the original acreage? And how do you figure this is automatic?)

I assume your aunt is the trustee. You need to insist that she execute the trust as written. If she refuses to do so, a lawsuit will be necessary.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2014, 07:37 AM
    I agree with AK. The terms of the trust need to be reviewed. Was the land supposed to be subdivided upon your father's death? When did your father die? Who is the trustee for the trust?

You are saying the whole 12 acres is in your aunt's name? How and when was it recorded. If your grandparent's will specified that your father and aunt get 6 acres each then upon their deaths (and probate of their will), new deeds should have been issued to your father and aunt. Then the deed for his 6 acres should have been deposited with the trust. So it appears somewhere along the line something was not done right. You need to go back and find out what happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do we have to sell an inherited property before being hit with estate taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

Mother passed in June, 2010. House to be sold and split 4 ways. 1. There is no inheritance tax for the 4 siblings? 2. If house is not sold this year, will the estate have to pay estate tax on the sale amount of the house next year?

If I sell inherited farm property, do I have to pay income tax for the value? [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited a 1/3 share of a farm that is co-owned by two other relatives. I sold the property for $76K. Do I pay income tax on $76K or only if it's sold for more than it's appraised for?

Sell of Inherited Property [ 2 Answers ]

My mom and her sister inherited their fathers property after he died, there was no mortgage to pay. When he passed away it was appraised for over 100k, They have an offer for 90k, when it was recently appraised for 85k. Are they going to have any taxes to pay on the property if all goes well with...

Should I sell inherited property that has depreciated in value or donate it? [ 1 Answers ]

This rental property was appraised for $60,000. At the time I inherited it. The tenants have totally trashed both apartments, and have been evicted. I am no longer generating income and losing money every month it sits empty. I do not have the resources to repair the damages, and have been offered...

Inherited property one wants to sell the other doesn't who has what rights [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and her sister inherited their mothers condo, her sister wants to rent it out my wife would like to sell it next spring. What rights does my wife have? Can she force her sister to sell? What if her sister doesn't like the price that is offered for the property-can my wife force the sale?...

View more questions Search