Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    makmaths Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Can I get a title if the seller doesn't send me the title but I have the bill of sales
    I just bought a used car from a private seller. She just paid off the loan and the lienhold is going to send her the title. She said she is going to sign on the title and send it back to me for the transfer of the ownership. I already got the car. As she is in England right now and I'm in California, I couldn't reach her oftentimes. I would like to know what would happen if she doesn't send me the signed title? I got a bill of sales and I bought insurance on the car. Can I get a title on my name later even if she doesn't send me the title? Im confused. Thank you!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2007, 12:51 PM
    I had a similar experience. But, I live in Illinois.

I sold a van to someone, but could not find the title. The option to get a new title was given to the buyer by the state. However, it was going to cost him about $80.00. Because I was the one who could not find the title, I offered to pay the cost, and did for the new title.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Apr 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
    It's possible but most states require you to jump through a lot of hoops and sometimes pay fees you normally would not have to pay, perhaps even purchase a certificate of title surety bond. It's best always to hand them the cash for the veh, get a bill of sale, let the seller purchase a cashier's ck or other type instrument if the lienholder has no local office for you both to go to, you watch the seller drop the ck in the mail to the lienholder with a letter that they mail the title to you, the purchaser. If the LH has a local office, both of you go, do the transactions there paying the lien off, etc.
    Strayinsane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 01:39 AM

Same situation. I had to pay a lost title fee to the state almost two years ago. It still hasn't came.
    brily67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 07:08 PM
    My boyfriend bought a car from our neighbor who was moving back to Washington. He lost the title, so filed to get a duplicate from the Washington dmv. However this was 5 months ago! The car is just sitting.. we have a bill of sale, is there anything we can do to get the title? We live in California and have the bill of sale...

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 03:18 AM
    Hi, brily67!

This is the very old and now archived thread of someone else. It's no longer visible on the list of currently active threads.

If you have a separate question, it would be best if you would start a new thread so that your question will get the most exposure. Also, this place doesn't work the same way that a chat room does. New questions are supposed to be asked by starting new threads.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Deed Sale Title Question... Marketable title? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I was wondering if anybody was familiar with titles from tax deed sales. I am a beginner to the topic, but just was looking for some advice from some of you real-estate savvy experts out there. My question is about the title of a deed bought from a tax sale... How do you find out...

Doesn't find me attractive, doesn't want sex with me, isn't sure he wants a relationship [ 14 Answers ]

Please read this, I need your help I'm 18 and so is my boyfriend I've been with him for 10 months and for about 5 months he's telling me he's not ready to commit and isn't sure he wants a relationship.and at points he's said he wants to feel he can do stuff with other women should the situation...

How can I get my MD to send bill to my insurance [ 4 Answers ]

I went to a neurologist upon referral back in March 2006 to discuss getting Botox injections in my neck and scalp for Migraines. The neurologist performed his initial consultation and evaluation which was billed to and paid by my insurance company. This doctor is in the PPO group which allows for...

Quiet Title A marketable title? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother and father have passed away and we, the heirs, are trying to sell the property to settle the estate. My father paid cash for this house 18 years ago and evidently obtained a quit claim to the property. The research to the property is moving at a snail's pace as there have been several...

Name off title? [ 3 Answers ]

Well me and my girlfriend split and both of our names are on my car title and we split on bad terms so she won't sign the title over to me so how do I get her name off? I don't care how I just want it off.thanks.

View more questions Search