Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jun 30, 2014, 12:50 PM
    Ungrounded Outlets with 3 prongs
    I have an older home, built in the late 50’s. The majority of the outlets have been replaced with 3 prong outlets over the years. I have not checked every out let, but the majority of them are ungrounded. I wanted to see 1) how dangerous this is and 2) short of rewiring the entire house, what are the possible solutions (installing GFI outlet, etc.)? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2014, 12:57 PM
    What type of wiring, Romex or armored cable? Are the boxes metal or plastic?

Jun 30, 2014, 01:06 PM
    Romex... the original boxes are metal, thanks.
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2014, 01:57 PM
    Simplest option is to find the main power lead coming into a room and insert a GFCI as the first outlet. Then connect all other wires in the room to the "load" side. Use the "No equipment ground" labels. If you have a rancher on a basement, you can probably rewire fairly easily. 250 ft. 14/2 romex is on Amazon with free shipping for $55.

Jun 30, 2014, 02:28 PM
    Thanks for your response. I have a 3 story, so rewiring would be quite difficult/expensive.

I just want to confirm my understanding of what you said above, if I replace the first outlet on each undergrounded circuit with a GFCI outlet (and mark each as no equip. ground), I should be in-line with code and good to go?
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2014, 05:41 PM
    GFCI's can be used in place of ungrounded receptacles AND used for those ungrounded receptacles down line on the same branch circuit. All receptacles must be labeled GFCI protected with No equipment ground.

In a house of your vintage, if you have an old panel, the neutral and service ground are on the same bar. The neutral conductor is bonded to the grounding electrode both at the service supplying the circuit as well as at the secondary of the transformer supplying that service. So in a round about way you do have a ground although not dedicated.
    New installs have separate ground and neutral.

New NEC requires AFCI in many rooms now but they do not work for ground fault and I don't believe they can be downstream loaded.

You can buy the GFCI's in boxes of 6 at HD and Lowe's and save money. Good Luck.

Jul 1, 2014, 11:03 AM
    Thanks for all your input! Now I just need to determine which outlets are first one each circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get a ground to ungrounded outlets [ 4 Answers ]

I bought an older house and some of the wiring does not have the ground wire. Since the white wire goes to the ground in the breaker box,can I just use it to carry the ground also? Will this be safe? I have done some of the plug-ins with a jumper wire to the ground and white wire,have I gotten...

How do I wire a 30 amp receptacle with three prongs from a sub panel [ 2 Answers ]

Hey Everybody! I am in the process of wiring a 30 amp receptacle that has only three prongs (Like an old dryer plug) for my new Miller 211 that I should be getting tomorrow. In the past I have always hooked up one black (110) to one of the lower prongs, one red 110 to the other lower prong and...

Older home with original wiring has three prong ungrounded outlets [ 11 Answers ]

My client is in contract to buy an Older home (1962) AS IS. The home has some lovely updates however the wiring is original. The seller replaeced all the plugs with three prong outlets that are ungrounded. Are these plugs safe? How difficult is it to ground the plugs? What type of cost is...

Hot plug prongs / 3 way wiring reuse [ 8 Answers ]

I have two hopefully simple questions. First, my wife's hair dryer plug's prongs get very hot. In fact if she is not careful when she pulls the plug out, the prongs could (almost) burn the skin. Lowering the dryer's heat setting significantly reduces how hot the prongs get... other items that...

View more questions Search