Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hilow79 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2014, 10:29 PM
    How to make a second grader be more responsible?
    My daughter goes to second grade and she keeps losing her stuff. She loses her eraser almost everyday and some times she forgets her lunch bag too. This might sound silly to some, but it is not to me. I want her to take responsibility for her actions. I have tried talking to her, telling her how hard it is for me to provide it all for her. I have asked her to sit in the "sorry chair." But nothing works. How do I make her give importance to keep things safe?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 29, 2014, 10:47 PM
    Hi there, Mom! (Late at night here and I can't sleep.)
    All I can say is that I was like your daughter in that I was constantly breaking my Thermos bottle, an expensive item in the 50s, and schools didn't even have lunchrooms then. My mother yelled and told me about costs and I was oblivious. Of course I had to go without whatever I broke for a while, and that probably taught me more than any explanations or punishments did. She wasn't into any 'nice' ways of teaching, but I wonder if maybe there are some...
    How about getting some fabric marker pens and helping her color some animals and her name on her bag, and making a little pouch out of cloth for her eraser? It could have a long string for a strap and it could be like a little purse.
    You could also connect the responsibility to a new privilege. Something you tell her she 'will be old enough to have or do' when she 'learns to be careful of the things you have to buy.' I can't think of anything for a second grader right now.

Jun 29, 2014, 11:52 PM
    Hi joy! So moms are the same in 50's and now :) And for your writing her name on the bag suggestion... did that too, but she forgets to bring the bag home. She puts on her backpack and fails to take the lunch bag with her when she leaves her classroom. So the problem here is not just her forgetfulness. I love your little purse for the eraser idea! Will try it :) thanks for replying in the middle of the night.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2014, 03:49 AM
    Hi hilow79,

Is this in preparation for next school year or is she attending a year round school or summer program? The "eraser purse" is a fun idea. Otherwise, is it possible for her to keep a couple of erasers at home and one at school?

Some of the students will use a clip to attach their lunch bag to their bag pack (often works because kids like to play with the clips and think it's fun to use... she could even clip her "eraser purse" to it as well), some will get in the habit of putting their lunch bag in their backpack after lunch. Are lunch bags/boxes kept in a specific location in the classroom... such as a shelf with the backpacks? (although I've had kids forget them even then!) I ended up making a simple checklist poster for students... homework folder, agenda, lunchbox, backpack.

Have you spoken to the teacher about making a general reminder to students at dismissal? A big part of the primary grades is learning responsibility.

Along the reward idea, it could be something as simple as earning stickers for a second grader, with perhaps something a little bigger after earning a certain number of stickers.

Jun 30, 2014, 11:02 PM
    Hi DoulaLC

My daughter has been going to school/daycare since she was two and a half. This losing stuff started last year when she was in first grade.
    The chain idea is great, sounds like fun too. But she has to keep her backpack next to her by the desk and the lunch bag goes to a corner of the classroom. This might work still as the hanging chain might remind her to get the lunch bag.
    The next time I go for the PT meeting I will talk to the teacher about this. I guess that might help too.
    The sticker idea sounds

The sticker reward way is also cool :)
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jul 3, 2014, 11:28 AM
    I know this is a few days old - but you could also just use a regular paper sack lunch bag like the old days. It could just be thrown away every day after lunch. (This doesn't really help with building responsibility, I know, but I would assume that she would not want to use it, and that would be a good time to say, well, when you show you can be responsible with your eraser you can try using your lunch bag again.)

Jul 4, 2014, 02:48 AM
    Thanks aliseodo :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a 7th grader but I want to date a 6th grader [ 11 Answers ]

Ok so she's in the 6th and I'm in the 7th and I want t go out with her but I don't really know much about her all I know is that she tends to be around her friends she's kind of short compared to me and she's a little fat like maybe 130 or 140 pounds and I'm also 5'2 and I'm a skinny guy so that's...

So, I knew this guy in my cross country team. He's an 8th grader and I'm a 7th grader [ 1 Answers ]

So, I knew this guy in my cross country team. He's an 8th grader and I'm a 7th grader. I know, a year difference. He always seems to stare at me all the time whenever we're stretching , running or even jogging. Like he stare at me 24/7. One time, we have picture day, and I was not wearing my...

How do I make a bad check writer responsible instead of me. [ 7 Answers ]

I received a check in the mail for $4,752 for a car purchase over craigslist and I want to cash it but I'm afraid that if I get the money the checks going bounce and I'm going to be forced to pay it back how do I make the person that wrote the check responsible after I cash it if it is a bad check.

If I add my name to title of house does that make me responsible for loan too? [ 1 Answers ]

My fiance' wants to add me to the title of the house, but if he defaults on the loan does that leave me responsible?

View more questions Search