Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    setheriault Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2014, 07:26 PM
    Statute of limitations on deceased person's credit card debt
    In Nova Scotia Canada could a deceased person's state be forced to pay old credit card debt (over 8 years old)?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 28, 2014, 03:21 AM
    The answer to the debt question is it depends. If there was a judgment while the card holder was still alive, then the estate does owe the debt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2014, 08:09 AM
    I assume you meant estate. When an estate is submitted for probate all creditors need to be contacted. If the creditor does not respond, then, when probate is closed, the debt is cancelled.

So its hard to specifically answer without knowing more details.
    setheriault Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2014, 06:47 PM
    Thank you Scott. The credit card debts were passed to collection agencies which were never replied to. What happens if the executor of the estate does not know how to contact them?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2014, 05:28 AM
    Has probate been closed?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2014, 05:32 PM
    If probate is still open, you post creditor notices in the local paper. The probate court can help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations on Credit Card Debt [ 10 Answers ]

What is the limitations on a store credit card from the 90s

What is the statute of limitations for credit card debt in BC [ 1 Answers ]

I have collections harassing me I have not paid on this debt since 2007 they have phoned my place of work at home and they have even phoned my daughters when they can't get me

Statute of Limitations Regarding Credit Card Debt [ 7 Answers ]

I am approximately $20,000 in credit card debt. I lost my job in mid-2002 and entered a debt reduction program March 31, 2003. I paid the fees to the debt reduction company; however, I have been unable to set aside any funds to payoff creditors/collection agencies. The program is setup in the...

Statute of limitations on credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if there is a statute of limitations on credit card debt in Manitoba, Canada, and if there is, does anyone know what it is?:)

Statute of Limitations on Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new member, Café Racer. I have a question. I have been given different answers so I don't know which is correct. Statute of Limitation on Credit Card debt in MA is 6 years. So I was under the impression that that time was from when you opened the account. Then I was told that the...

View more questions Search