Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    In The End Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2014, 12:26 AM
    To Forgive, Or To Not Forgive
    A few weeks ago, my girlfriend broke up with me because she found out that I used to self harm. I was devastated, even more so because, being the hormonal teen that I am, I thought she was 'the one' and that I'd be with her forever and ever. She changed all that with one rash decision. Strangely, today she sent me a couple texts saying how sorry she is and that she loves me and that she misses me so much, etc. The thing is, I can't bring myself to forgive her. I don't think I can trust her anymore. How do I know she won't leave when things start getting difficult for me again, or when I tell her some other very deep and personal secret of mine? I told her that love is unconditional, and that if she loved me less or stopped loving me completely than it wasn't true love in the first place. On the other hand, despite all this, there's still a part of me that wants her back. There's a little sliver of my heart that will only beat for her. I'm conflicted. Very conflicted. I just need your opinion(s) on whether I should give her a second chance. To forgive, or to not forgive
    Precious7 Posts: 333, Reputation: 61

Jun 27, 2014, 12:45 AM
    If she is giving you a chance by coming back but even though now she found out those stuffs about you the I think you can also forgive her! I am not going to comment on other things becos I really don't have any idea why u self harm! No one likes that, especially those who love you! You are indirectly harming them too.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 27, 2014, 05:52 AM
    This no doubt freaked her out . She is a hormonal teen as well. Loving someone does not mean you don't get angry or never feel uncomfortable or never leave. I don't see what she did as being unforgivable. Maybe she was not ready for the drama in your life.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2014, 06:07 AM
    You sound too immature to be in a relationship. Plus you can't have a healthy relationship until you fix some things in your own life. You should allow her to move on while you work on you. Plus I am guessing you two weren't together too long so you didn't invest a huge amount of time and energy into what you are calling your girlfriend.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 27, 2014, 08:56 AM
    If you can forgive yourself for past mistakes, and cannot forgive others for their past mistakes then you have more problems than just forgiveness my young friend. She apologized so accept it, and get over yourself. If you don't want to be involved with her anymore, that's one thing, and up to you, but forgiveness is also as unconditional as you think love is.

Don't get caught up in hormonal BS. It's subject to change quickly. Just like this notion of being together forever. Do the right thing. Forgive unconditionally.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2014, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by In The End View Post
    How do I know she won't leave when things start getting difficult for me again, or when I tell her some other very deep and personal secret of mine? I told her that love is unconditional, and that if she loved me less or stopped loving me completely than it wasn't true love in the first place.
    You won't know this with any relationship you become involved in. Relationships involve some risk and leaps of faith. How does she know that you won't self-harm again?

Are you getting help for dealing with the things that have been difficult for you? If not, why not? That would be the first step. If you have been, keep at it. You need to be in a good place with yourself and your own emotions, and ways of dealing with what life throws at you, before you can be healthy in a relationship with someone else.

It sounds as though she got scared when she heard about the self-harming, but then gave it some thought.

Love is often very conditional.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2014, 09:09 AM
    Self harm is a serious issue, and if she did not know, and you never told her, you were first not in a really deep relationship yet.

With that said, the fact you did those things, most likely really upset her and made her have all sorts of worried and fears about being with you.

Personally she also had to deal with all of this. So you are trying to make this all about you. And not about both of you. You did not seem to address, the issues she would have had about this

Jun 28, 2014, 11:04 PM
    Thank you guys for your advice. You were all right on multiple counts.

Although there are a few things I need to comment on. Oliver2011 said that I "sound too immature to be in a relationship" and that he was "guessing we weren't together too long." I don't mean to be rude, but you can't judge how mature I am based off of one post. Also, we were together for nearly 4 months so, while that may not be a VERY long time, it's still relatively lengthy. Also, talaniman said that I need to "get over myself." I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but if you're implying that I'm stuck-up or cocky than you are wrong. However, I do agree with you that I should forgive unconditionally. Once again, I don't mean to sound rude or snobby by correcting you, I just wanted to address some things. You guys were for the most part spot on about everything else. Thank you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 29, 2014, 06:48 AM
    I suggest and get your feelings were hurt because of her reaction, mine would be too, but getting over yourself is the notion that its not just about you, but understanding her shock. It was difficult to reveal this part of yourself, and difficult to be prepared for her reaction.

Initial reactions, both yours and hers often change when the emotional dust settles and thoughtful consideration follows. No way was it meant to imply being cocky, or stuck up, just to clarify. Maybe self absorbed, hurt, defensive, would be better words here but getting over your hurt feelings was my meaning.
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2014, 04:26 AM
    Again, this is not meant to be personal but I stand by what I said.

4 months was around what I expected and it's a terribly short time. You don't know this yet because you don't have the gift of life experience but you can't determine that "she is the one" after 4 months. You don't know each other yet. So determining that "and that I'd be with her forever and ever" is a very naïve statement as far as relationships go. That is not a slam on you, all teenagers including me were the same way.

I do have a question though - "when I tell her some other very deep and personal secret of mine" - what purpose does that serve? It sounds very attention seeking as if you think you can force her into a relationship with you.

You showed her your true colors and she took a hike. In this case she did what was best for her which I think was best for both of you. Again - work on you so that you can be a better person for the person you are in a relationship with. Until you do that I would venture to say all of your "relationships" will follow the same path.

Thank you guys for your advice. You were all right on multiple counts.

Although there are a few things I need to comment on. Oliver2011 said that I "sound too immature to be in a relationship" and that he was "guessing we weren't together too long." I don't mean to be rude, but you can't judge how mature I am based off of one post. Also, we were together for nearly 4 months so, while that may not be a VERY long time, it's still relatively lengthy. Also, talaniman said that I need to "get over myself." I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but if you're implying that I'm stuck-up or cocky than you are wrong. However, I do agree with you that I should forgive unconditionally. Once again, I don't mean to sound rude or snobby by correcting you, I just wanted to address some things. You guys were for the most part spot on about everything else. Thank you.

Jul 1, 2014, 12:56 AM
    You have a point. I need to work on myself. My naïveté and selfishness got the best of me. I apologiz
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2014, 10:15 AM
    No apology needed. Life is about making some mistakes and always learning from those mistakes. That also makes life fun too.

You have a point. I need to work on myself. My naïveté and selfishness got the best of me. I apologiz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I forgive her,or let her go? [ 4 Answers ]

Over the events that happened id like some advice It really wasn't her fault If what I was told was the truth So should I be there for her and forgive her? Or Should I just have nothing to do with her?

Will he forgive me? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex man left his wife for me and we went out for seven months. But once reality hit and he had deal with custody battles and lawyer fees he got a little depressed. I got impatient and went and told his wife we were through. He forgave me but when his kids got mad at him he broke it off. I can't...

How do I forgive him so we can still be together? [ 4 Answers ]

Well I just found out yesterday that my boyfriend of 5 yrs (he just bought me an engagement ring) cheated on me. It started about 2 1/2 months ago and ended a mth ago. He said it only happened 5 times but the second time was a Friday night when we went out with friends to the pub to celebrate my...

Do I forgive her [ 5 Answers ]

OK right here's my story I am now 18 sorry its so long and maby confusing (oh and spelling) When I was 12 I was raped I'm my local park and for years the only person I told (1 year later) was my best friend, she promised me she would never tell anyone elase but then one day when I was 16 I came...

How do I forgive him? [ 7 Answers ]

My ex-boyfriend told my parents I was gay the night I broke up with him. They had NO clue I was anything but straight. I gave him the excuse that I was gay but really I have had no lesbian experience at all (I am 20). I broke up with him because he has a serious health issue which I now have...

View more questions Search