Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CGarrett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Adding my name to the title of our home
    My husband and I purchased our home back in March 2006. At the point we were able to get a better rate by having my husband on the loan only , but both of our names were put on the title. Now we are in the process of refinancing to a lower rate and decided, again, to have only my husband's name on the loan, but both our names on the title. When we went to sign we were told that the lender had a provision only allowing his name to be on the title since he was the sole applicant on the loan and that I would have to sign my rights away. At one point the Loan Officer said something about quit deeding the home over once the loan closed, but I wanted to think about it. My question now is this: Is it even possible to add my name to the title if we sign? I have heard that sometimes the lender has a clause not allowing any transfer of title if the loan is not paid off in full. This was not a problem the last time, so I feel so blindsighted. Please help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 11:45 AM
    This is fairly obvious, this lender has a rule, if the mortgage is in one name, then the deed can only be in that one name. So no until that loan is paid off, it can not be in your name, So after that loan is paid off, your husband can add you back ( if he wants, but he will be in control)

But yes most loans today in the US have the clause that you can not trasfer any title without the full amount becoming payable, This is for their protection to force you to pay the loan off at closing, and not allowing someone to assume the mortgage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding name to Car Title [ 6 Answers ]

Can I add my husbands name to my car title, or anyone else's name for that matter?

Adding name to title on house [ 5 Answers ]

What form do I need to add a name to title to a home

Adding name to title in California [ 2 Answers ]

What are the process of adding names to a title in California? I would like to add my bofriends name to the title so he can refinance the property with his name only... any helpis greatly appreciated.

View more questions Search