Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mg3990a Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 11:22 AM
    1040NR - can I claim tuition?
    Hello - I am a Canadian citizen who has been living in the US as an F1 student since May 2002. I have recently started Law school in MD and I paid (out of pocket) my tuition for the fall semester. I am wondering if I can use this tuition to offset my taxes owed to fed/state. I see there is a Hope and Lifetime scholarship--- but to my understanding I am not eligible when filing a 1040NR ---- is this true? Are there any other options?

Thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Negative. The Education Credit/Deduction is NOT available to non-resident aliens.

No other options, since law school is qualifying you for a new profession.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Out of State Tuition [ 3 Answers ]

The price jump from in-state to out-of-state tuition is INSANE. Is there any way to avoid it? Does anyone know for how long you have to be living in a state to be eligible for the in-state prices? For example, could you move to an apartment a week or a month before school starts and be able to pay...

In state tuition [ 1 Answers ]

My ex claimed my daughter in 2005 in order for her to get instate tuition. She has now decided to return to her residency at her mother's home to transfer to home state college and mom wants to claim her for 2006 tax exemption. Since she got reduced instate tuition in 2006-2007 will this now...

May I claim for the tution fee in 1040NR-EZ [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in spring 2005 on an F-1 student visa. I filed form 1040A for 2005 online and claimed hope credit and got all my tax for that year refunded. Now I picked up form 1040NR-EZ, in which there was a question asking me which form did I use for last year. My total wages is 15335...

Can I (on h1b visa) claim my child (h4) for deduction on 1040nr? [ 6 Answers ]

If I am on H1B from Russia and have a 6 y.o. daughter with h4 visa, can I claim her as a dependent on 1040nr, in order to get deduction on my tax? Thanks.

Tuition [ 5 Answers ]

I seriosly need to know the pros and cons of tuition(extra classes).I am joining a debate:eek: Please send me links to other websites which r related to what I need to know.Please do help and thank you.

View more questions Search