Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needabath Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2014, 12:31 PM
    Electric water heater trips breaker
    4 yr. old water heater, hooked up to a well, last yr. replaced elements that didn't look that bad. It started tripping the breaker again this week.

I drained it, and removed both elements, they looked allright, but I did lightly sand them to removed some sediment. I also flushed the tank pretty thoroughly. I hooked it back up and breaker turns off after about five minutes.

I did try the reset switch on upper thermostat, and both thermostats are set at medium heat (125F) I checked the ohms with a meter, the meter stayed low. One site said it should move high, another said it should read low. Mine stayed low?!

Last yr. with this problem, we ended up replacing the breaker, thermostats, and elements, only to find the wiring shorted out from the breaker to the heater. That looks OK. But should I replace the elements and breaker again?
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 26, 2014, 04:25 PM
    I have a few questions. First you shouldn't be having issues with breakers and feeder wires, at least in the frequency you are mentioning if they are properly sized and installed. What size of wire is feeding your water heater? What size of breaker are you using? What is the wattage of each of your heating elements. Were you having issues with no hot water or some hot water, but running out fast? If you want answers we need details. Typically an electric water heater is supplied by a 30 amp 2 pole circuit breaker and the wire size is #10. The standard water heater generally has 2 elements, each of about 4500 watts. I have seen perfectly good looking heating elements that had issues. Normally they show cracked or something.
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 26, 2014, 04:31 PM
    The meter reading depends on where you place the leads. With the power off, you can place one meter lead on the element and the other on the tank ground. In this case you should read infinite ohms. If you put the meter from one side of the element to the other side, then it should read relatively low ohms somewhere probably around 12 ohms depending on meter and element. That's why you have two conflicting ideas on the readings

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric water heater tripping circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 9 year old electric 50 gal. heater and recently it has been throwing the breaker and now it just won't work at all can this be a burnt out element or possibly an issue with sediment build up or might it be a bit of both? What is the suggested course of repair or would it be better...

Water heater trips main breaker but not its breaker? [ 2 Answers ]

Last night my main breaker tripped (100A). I reset it and it tripped again 10 minutes later. I suspect it is the water heater because it's old (like 15 yrs). But it trips the MAIN breaker, not the 30A breaker in the inside panel that runs only to the water heater. Left the water heater off all...

Trane ac electric heat unit trips breaker [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Trane A/C split unit with electric heat. Turn on the heat and it runs for 3-5 minutes then trips the 60 amp breaker. Removed the heat strip and inspected with no visible problems to the coils or connections. Wiring is #10 and looks to be in good shape. Where else can I look to resolve...

Breaker for underground water pump trips when a large volume of water is used [ 2 Answers ]

The breaker for the pump trips when the washer fills. Washer repair person said it is not the washer and pump repair person said the pump is working correctly. Breaker does not trip every time. Could it be a bad breaker?

Is a 60 amp breaker too much for a 40 gallon electric water heater? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a tankless water heater installed and after a lot of trouble with it, it died. So, I want to go back to a regular tank water heater. Can I hook it up to the existing electric service to the tankless, which is really big: two pole 60 amp breaker with a 6 or 8 wire? I have the feeling that...

View more questions Search