Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donmay32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2014, 08:57 AM
    3 pole 50 amp breaker keeps tripping out, only 42A load
    I am using 3 pole breaker although I am only using 2 poles. 220V single phase
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 25, 2014, 12:31 PM
    Two scenarios. First of all a 50 amp breaker is designed to run a continuous load at 80% or its trip rating. 80% of 50 is 40 amps. If you are drawing 42 amps for long periods I could see it tripping the breaker(heat build up in breaker). Scenario 2 is that the starting current of a motor is much higher than the running current or amps. The code allows to go to the next size breaker 60 amps, but your wire should be rated to handle the 60 amps. You must have a fairly large air conditioner to draw that kind of amperage, but it is possible if your air conditioner is that large . I assume there are no other issues. The unit works fine outside of the nuisance trip?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Double Pole Breaker 20 Amp GFCI tripping [ 7 Answers ]

I took out a 20 Amp double pole non-GFCI breaker that was attached to pool pump wiring. I know that this needs to be a GFCI breaker. I purchased a new 20 Amp double pole GFCI breaker. I installed the double pole GFCI breaker 20 Amp to panel where the old non-GFCI breaker was attached. The wires...

30 Amp Double Pole Breaker is hot and tripping [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I just got a Maytag Neptune Dryer a week ago. I have it plugged in to our old dryer outlet (which was replaced less than a year ago) which is 3 prong. The dryer voltage is 240 volts and I am running it on a 30 amp double pole breaker. The problem is, this is new electrical wiring and a...

How to change a 20 amp single pole to a ge 45 amp circuit breaker one pole? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 20 amp service in my garage and I want to plug in my camper. The camper has an inverter that says it is rated for 45 amps. I changed the breaker to a 30 amp but it keeps popping the GFI outlet. How do I convert this amperage to meet the needs of the camper?

600 amp service with a 200 amp single pole breaker [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 600 amp GE service closet in my basement that feeds 7 other socket meters and each have there own breaker. Question is I just added a brands new 200 amp panel and new line service to a area I just converted to storefront space for a deli. So I can't find a 200 amp breaker for that closet...

Tripping 15 amp breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have currently replaced my kitchens existing "Flourescent Tube Lights" (like the ones you find in a utility room, the long tube bulbs) with 4 reccessed lights (70 watt bulbs each) I disconnected the tube lights and used the existing wire to connect to the 1st reccessed light, then wired...

View more questions Search