Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cort_xoxo Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2014, 11:09 PM
    Best way to tan fast??
    I'm pretty fair skinned and would like to get a base tan going before I go to Myrtle Beach. I don't want to burn really bad. Need tips on how to tan inside or outside would be helpful (: thank you
    -cort
    zylstra Posts: 83, Reputation: 11

Jun 23, 2014, 11:19 PM
    Try spray tan or lotion tan. Also, take a beta carotene supplement once a day for a couple days before you go.

Of course the best way to avoid getting burned is to use sunscreen.
    cort_xoxo Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2014, 01:18 AM
    But can I still burn if I get a spray tan right and won't it wash all off when I go swimming?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 24, 2014, 08:41 AM
    Talk to your doctor about it or a referral to a dermatologist.

I have really fair skin, I can't really go out for long periods with out sunscreen. Before I went to Turkey many years back I did a bas tan at a tanning salon. It was basically 4-6 minutes under the lamps every couple of days. It did help, but I still got a burn in Istanbul so a base tan is no guarantee of not getting a burn. Be smart about it because this is damaging your skin and if your genetics are bad than this could start putting you at SERIOUS risk of skin cancer.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 24, 2014, 09:36 AM
    I tan easily, as does my chiropractor who suggested this for safer tanning (but first check with your doctor about this because of your predilection for burning) --

This increases the production of melanin in your skin. Daily, for several weeks before any exposure to the sun --- 2000 mg of vitamin C, 50 mg of vitamin B6, and 4 mg of copper, speeds tanning and reduces the risk of sunburn.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2014, 11:50 AM
    I'd stick to a lotion tan... there are several that do not make you orange. They don't wash off, and you would still want to use a broad spectrum sun screen.

Some sunlight can have benefits, but tanning is really already damaging your skin.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2014, 11:59 AM
    Trust me... you do NOT want to be a sun worshipper.

Long story short... An old neighbor friend of mine and my wife are the same age (50)... I've known both since 1988, both had pretty good complexions back then, My wife as not a frequent beachgoer. The neighbor girl was. We all lived only a mile from the beach on the Mediteranian in Italy.

Fastforward to today... wife still has really good skin and very few wrinkles for anyone ten years younger than she is, and the Neighbor girl has skin that your average 70 year old would be embarased by. All due to how much time was spent in the sun over the years.

Sure you look good when you are young and do it...but you pay one hell of a price for it when you get older. Wear a high SPF sunscreen.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 24, 2014, 12:38 PM
    There is no hard and fast rule to tanning well. Your genes/heritage more or less dictate this. If you are fair skinned and burn easily, you just don't try to tan.

I am like WG, I tan easily, but older, 72 and no wrinkles. It is genes for me.

WG's recipe sort of makes sense.

Jun 24, 2014, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cort_xoxo View Post
    But can I still burn if I get a spray tan right and won't it wash all off when I go swimming?
    The spray tan helps prevent burning since the active ingredient DHA (Dihydroxyacetone) causes your skin to darken similar to a real tan. Therefore spray tans will not wash off when you swim.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 26, 2014, 11:50 AM
    @zylstra. Can you provide a link for your claim that DHA prevents burning? I don't think this is exactly specific information.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2014, 01:06 PM
    Most self-tanners have DHA as one of the main ingredients. Regardless of having a regular tan or using a self-tanner, sunburn will still happen if you're in the sun too long without sunscreen (applied as directed). Neither will either form of tanning prevent increasing the risk of skin cancer.

Jun 26, 2014, 07:46 PM
    I did not claim that DHA prevents burning. I said it "helps" prevent burning. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydroxyacetone, "The skin browning of a sunless tan may provide some UV protection (up to SPF 3),[20][21]".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prove the Identity: 2cos^2x-1=(1-tan^2x)/(1 tan^2x) [ 1 Answers ]

2cos^2x-1=(1-tan^2x)/(1 + tan^2x)

prove ((sec(x)-csc(x))/((sec(x)+cot(x)) is equal to ((tan(x)-1)/(tan(x)+1) [ 3 Answers ]

Prove this trigonometric identity... I dare you!!

verify the equation (1/secant)-tan=secant + tan [ 1 Answers ]

(1/secant)-tan=secant + tan

(cot x/1-tan x) +(tan x/1-cot x) = csc x sec x+1 [ 5 Answers ]

Proving trigonometric identities

View more questions Search