Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hj3 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2014, 12:55 PM
    PC Game - Anyway to install it then play without having to put in the CD
    Recently I purchased Race Driver Grid for PC. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. My experience with computer games has been using the cd to install everything into my computer, and once that's done, playing the game by simply selecting it - no cd necessary. This one is a bit different in that it needs a CD to run, even after I install the data, which I'm not too happy about. Am I installing it wrong or is this the way this one works? Are there any workarounds / procedures to installing it and playing without needing the cd every time? Thanks!
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2014, 06:58 PM
    There may or may not be an option to install locally. However, regardless of this there is a work around. A program like IMG Burn can create a copy of the disk onto your hard drive. While another program like Magic Disc or Daemon Tools can treat that file like an actual disk in the disk drive (All Virtual). Then viola, the computer thinks its running a CD while its actually stored on the hard disk.

If this suites your needs, post back and I can help you along the way and give you more detailed instructions.

Jun 24, 2014, 01:29 PM
    Yes, that should help. I'll look into it and if you can provide some help it'll be appreciated. Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2014, 01:27 AM
    You can download imgburn and install. When the installation is complete, run the program and select "Create Image File From Disk." The dialogue box that pops up is pretty straight forward, choose the drive the disk is in, Select a destination where to save the disk image, and click the read button.

Download Daemon Tools Lite and install. After install all you have to do is double click the iso file you just created to "Mount" the image into the virtual drive. Make sure the physical disk is removed from the disk tray. Examine you drives in "My Computer" or "Computer" and you should see the game as if it were in a new cd drive.

Install and run from there...

Post back if you have any problems.

Jul 16, 2014, 08:22 PM
    Well... everything worked up to the point where I went to play it. It scrolled, then an error message came up stating "Please insert the original disc instead of a backup (1000)." When I clicked the link it stated "You are trying to start a copy-protected application which requires the original disc to be in the CD/DVD-ROM drive. Please check to make sure your disc is an original." Did I do something wrong or is this particular game only able to be played from disc? Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2014, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hj3 View Post
    "You are trying to start a copy-protected application which requires the original disc to be in the CD/DVD-ROM drive.
    That's your answer. There is something on the disc that the program checks for before it will load. This is to prevent people from pirating the game. If you legally purchased the game, then you insert the disk. You can probably just leave in in your PC.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2014, 05:59 AM
    GamecopyWorld website has many NoCD workarounds for just that reason.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2014, 07:35 AM
    Thank you Karma, I've never heard of this site, after a few minutes, I think I really like it.

As to the OP, try instructions here.

Just be warned these are user created files and have no security validation. This site will also tell you how to back it up to iso images also with security in place.

Aug 12, 2014, 08:15 AM
    Hello All,

Thanks for all your help. However, just recently I came across a game site called gog.com. Excellent site - and they had Grid available at a great cost, so I purchased it. Downloaded, then installed, and it worked perfectly. So I incurred a small cost but don't have to worry about the workaround anymore. Now, I'll just sell or donate the cd hahahaha!

Once again - thanks for all your help!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2014, 08:21 AM
    Another vote from me for GOG (Good Old Games). Good price, no DRM. Glad you found it. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Let's play another game of... [ 27 Answers ]

I'm bored, questions are slow, work is slow, so... let's play another rousing game of guess that breed! This is Fischer as I am sure most of you know. He is a rescue and before he came to Canada he was with 3 different organizations, so we got 3 different breed mixes. We know for sure he is...

The game that an Ex will play on you. [ 4 Answers ]

I hate when people break up with you, tell you to stay away from them and when you give them what they ask for they get upset and say that your wrong for treating them like this. Or they ask you can we still be friends after ripping your heart out, I mean do these people really think they can have...

Do I play the game? [ 5 Answers ]

I met this girl two weeks ago and we have gone on three, maybe two and a half dates together. At the end of the night of the last one we tentatively agreed to go out three days later on Saturday (tomorrow). I texted her the day after to confirm the plan in the spirit of a joke she made the night...

2 can play at this game. [ 28 Answers ]

Hello All... I've found some good information in the existing posts, but am searching for some feedback on a somewhat different problem. The long and short of it is... I have been in a relationship for a year and a half - I love him to death and I know without a doubt that he loves me. We've had...

Do I play his game? [ 5 Answers ]

OK so my ex used me and I have lost alomost all my feelings for him but I would like to get back at him... and apparently I have the chance... I have just started talking to my ex's best mate (well he started texting me now we talk on msn nightly) and he tells me stuff about my ex... like...

View more questions Search