Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ic3385 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2014, 07:22 AM
    Sinking covered porch
    My deck/porch is sinking in the front. I'm guessing 4inches in 10 years on one corner. The covered porch roof is attached to the house roof. To complicate matters, there is a Hugh boulder wall approximately 10foot in front of the porch front which drops 4/5 ft to ground level. These are Hugh boulders and can only be moved by heavy equipment. The porch needs to be lifted back up and the foundation posts reinforced somehow. Does anyone have any good cost effective ideas on how to fix this problem without destroying the landscaping?
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Jun 23, 2014, 07:33 AM
    Picture would help.
    Ic3385 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2014, 07:38 AM
    Your right, it would. I'll need to figure out how to do that. Thanks for the quick response and suggestion.
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Jun 23, 2014, 08:45 AM
    I usually upload my photos to www.photobucket.com.

Then copy the image url and paste it into the message area.

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2014, 09:42 AM
    I've never done this myself... but I've seen it done on some shows.

They have what are called bottle jacks... Equipment rental places rent them out. You basically put down a timber to distribute the load... and do the same on your lift point. If its all on a common single joist it makes life easier. I'm guessing this was once a regular portch that at come point was covered and enlosed considerably adding to the weight on the piers. I'm also assuming until photos are posted its on piers and not a perimeter foundation.

You would use the bottle jack or jacks to raise it to level, and since its clear the original isn't either sufficient size or on stabile enough ground, you would dig dow to at least below the frost line in you area, or deeper than the original, and much wider than the original ( to distribute the load over a wider area)... pour a new concrete pad to put a new pier on, and once that's done... I would do the other side the same way because that would now likely be the weak link.

Thats if its a wood porch. If its all concrete or brick construction....the complexity and difficulty just got significantly higher.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2014, 12:16 PM
    As smoothy suggested, jacking of some type is a possibility, but I wonder if the boulder wall has shifted. Sounds like the boulder wall is actually a retaining wall and what you are interpreting as settlement could really be soil moving out (horizontally) and leaving a void under the support post. Even giant boulders can move or shift whether it because of erosion underneath, slight tremors and many other reasons.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2014, 02:57 PM
    Hard to say without seeing it. I just lifted a settled house corner on a pier by cribbing up 6X6 timbers and lifting with 2 ton screw jacks. We lifted the house off the pier, re-barred under the footing and added concrete and then built the pier up. Took a couple days but very little cost.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2014, 06:00 PM
    I agree, I bought and remodeled homes for years. Hehe, how I can afford to live in China.. but many had porches that was off level, even floors off level. You get under and jack them up, put in new supports and go from there. Is there a basement or crawl space, under home. The last house, I had to go under porch from the crawl space.

Had to remove part of foudation for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older zu spayed I have doggy door goes to porch npees on porch. Help [ 0 Answers ]

I have older female shi tzu spayed .She pees in every room in house. I take her out side and she has a doggy door to porch and one to outside run. She insists on going pee and poo on the porch. I have two other shi tzu's and they both go out. If I am in my chair she will ask to go out but if I'm...

Slate tile a covered porch in Virginia [ 1 Answers ]

I have a covered front porch that is peeling paint, I'd like to go over it with slate tile. I live in Virginia, we do get freezes occasionally. Thanks JD

Building a covered deck above a covered front porch [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to improve the curb appeal and usefulness of our hangar home. We are planning to have a deck built above the covered front porch, and will replace the double windows (the set on the left on the 2nd floor in the front view) with French doors. Because this faces south and we are in...

Installing ceiling fan on covered porch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a covered porch that is lit by 3 can lights that are wired together and operated by one wall switch. I am wanting to replace the middle can light with an exterior ceiling fan. I am trying to figure out if there is any way that I can get around having to fish another electrical line from...

View more questions Search