Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starjets Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2014, 04:14 PM
    Gift taxes from Green Card holder to US family member
    Hi there,

My ageing Mum holds a green card and is living in Europe . She want to give me the title to a piece of land that she purchased in 1991 for $ 20,000. The land is now valued at around $ 250,000 .
    I am her son and hold US citizenship . What are the tax implications . Will there be an immediate tax liability or will it be triggered when I sell the property .
    Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 21, 2014, 05:11 AM
    Tax wise, it would be better if you wait until she passes and you INHERIT the property, at least from a U.S. perspective.

If she gives you the property, she must, as a green card holder, file a gift tax return. Applying the Unified Credit will keep her from PAYING any gift tax, but the gift tax return will still be required.

In receiving the gift, you also receive the original $20,000 basis. Hence, when you sell the property, you will pay long-term capital gains at probably 15% on $230,000.

However, If you inherit the property, the property's basis is "stepped up" to the Fair Market Value at the time of your mother's passing. The net result is you save over $34,000 in capital gains taxes.

Note that you must consider the tax situation in the country where the property is located.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withholding of Taxes for a Green Card holder residing Outside US [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm a Greed Card holder and now I'm working and residing in India. My employer pays me Salary in India and withholds income tax in India. I travel to US occasionally on Business Trips, does my employer have to withhold taxes for the trips. I receive no compensation in US, everything is...

Gift Taxes from a US Green Card holder [ 5 Answers ]

My mother lives overseas, but has a US green card, has decided to help with my home renovations and will be sending money in installments to help out. Amount will be around $50K per year for around 5 years. 1. Since she has a green card does that mean she has to pay US gift taxes? If Yes,...

Igot married to green card holder girl how could I get a green card? [ 3 Answers ]

I got married to green card holder girl of usa, how could I get a green card?

Gift to green card holder [ 1 Answers ]

I am a green card holder from Europe. I am retired and spend some 6 months every year in the US. I have no income in the US, I receive a pension from Europe and have rental income from two commercial units inEurope. My daughter is also a green card holder, she is still in Europe thanks to a...

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

View more questions Search