Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Jun 20, 2014, 06:46 AM
    How Many Bags of Concrete?
    I'm drawing a blank figuring out just how many bags of Ready Mix concrete we'd need to replace 6 x 6 timbers that have now rotted through time.. We have a number of walkways that were built by the pervious owner so now we've decided to replace the timbers with a cement border.. We plan on using masonite strips to hold the cement till it hardens , placing them on the weak side ie: grass & sand...

We have 4 strips for a total 230"L x 5"W x 5"H... Cheers. Thanks
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Jun 20, 2014, 01:50 PM
    Approx 5 bags at 80 lbs

Jun 23, 2014, 05:12 AM
    @ dannac, Thanks for the Comeback.. Further to my query on How many bags to do the job... We have a couple of strips from a previous cement job that are approximately 2 inches below the patio surface if you will.. The concern is , people will trip.. Hence the wife would like to build up and smooth out the ripples.. Would we have to spray some kind of additive to get fresh cement to adhere to an existing cemented area or will we be fine?
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Jun 24, 2014, 11:13 AM
    I'm not following exactly what you plan on doing, but if you plan on adding 2" above an existing slab, I do not think you want to go with bagged concrete.

It will most likely crack, especially if a high traffic area.
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 24, 2014, 05:50 PM
    There are high strength additives and bagged concrete, but if you are in an area where the winters are hard and freezing the 2" topping probably won't last even if it is high strength. I have seen a lot of cover jobs come apart after a few winters in my area. I can't speak for other places.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2014, 06:43 PM
    Might be a good application for a "crusher run" stone mix. Means different materials in different areas but a well graded stone mix which compacts well.
    Similar to: Maryland Materials, Providing Stone Products in Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania for 50 Years!

You can also find more decorative, colored versions at landscaping outlets or even at big box building suppliers.
    Hot mix asphalt also good but not easy to get in small quantities. Cold mix not desirable because it will track on your shoes in hot climates.
    But I agree with your spouse, definite safety issue.

If the dimension is not too variable, you could make a "threshold" out of treated lumber and anchor into the existing concrete possibly.

Jun 25, 2014, 04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
    The concern is , people will trip.. Hence the wife would like to build up and smooth out the ripples.. Would we have to spray some kind of additive to get fresh cement to adhere to an existing cemented area or will we be fine?
    @smearcase... Thanks for the Comeback... Yes we could have incorporated Pressure Treated wood as a Threshold to part of job but believe it or not the wood timbers were replacing became extremely water logged in a short period of time, some of the handy work was left by the previous owners.... lol.. Management requests more cement than wood.. lol.. Most of the area concerned is less travelled if you will and interlocking brick on both sides and packed tight... I did apply a bonding agent that seemed to quicken the drying process as well, it will be 72 hrs by the end of the day we've had the forms in place... Cheers. Thanks..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grace places plums in bags in bundles of 8 and kiwis in bags in bundles of 4. [ 2 Answers ]

After selling each bag of plums for 2 dollars and bags of kiwis for 5 dollars, she earns 2516 dollars. If Grace sells 7x the amount of kiwis as bags of plums, how many pieces of fruit did she sell?

How many bags of portland cement are required to mix a yard of concrete [ 1 Answers ]

How many bags of portland cement are required to add into enough sand and stone to make a yard of concrete

A cubic yard of concrete is to contain 6 bags of cement and 39 gallon of water. [ 3 Answers ]

A cubic yard of concrete is to contain 6 bags of cement and 39 gallon of water. The absolute or solid volumes of the fine and coarse aggregates required are 2.65 for the fine aggregate and 2.68 for the coarse aggregate. Determine the required weights of the cement,water,fine aggregate, and coarse...

How many bags of ready mix concrete to make 1 1/2 yards of concrete? [ 2 Answers ]

How many 80lb bags of ready mix concrete do I need to make a yard and half

View more questions Search