Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rcarmstead Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2014, 06:22 PM
    Is cockroach smell constant or does it come and go?
    I've seen a few cockroaches in our bathroom and bedroom, but nowhere else in the house. There is a bad, though not overwhelming, smell in our bedroom that comes and goes every few days and lasts for several hours each time it comes. It smells sour, wet, and somewhat like garbage. It definitely doesn't smell like a dead animal. I've sniffed around everywhere and can't figure out where exactly it's coming from. I keep the house very clean. There's no rotting food, garbage, or clutter in the bedroom. I've heard that a bad cockroach infestation will cause a smell. What does this smell like? Also, is it constant, permeating the entire home, or does it come and go in a single location as I've described? What else could this smell be if not cockroaches?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2014, 07:00 PM
    For every one you see, there are probibly 100 that you don't.

You need an exterminator if you see that many.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 20, 2014, 03:08 AM
    A cockroach infestation can generate an odor most often described as "coppery." The odor you describe makes me think of mildew/fungus. Is there a wet spot such as from an air conditioner drain near a window? In the crawlspace?

It sounds like you have two separate problems.

The roach problem can best be addressed by gel baits. A professional exterminator should offer a one time application, perhaps with a follow-up warranty, for a reasonable price. If you want to do it yourself, be careful not to apply too much in any one place. A hundred little placements is much more effective than 10 larger ones where you saw the bugs.

The sour wet odor can be best addressed by inspecting for damp spaces inside, outside, and under the house.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2014, 03:23 AM
    Roaches are almost impossible to elimate on your own. And it is stages, since they lay eggs, and hatch.. a professional is needed if it is a reoccuring issue

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Musty smell from new trane ac/heat pump not constant [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We had a new trane 5 ton two compressor ac/heat pump installed last Sept. 26. About two weeks ago we noticed a really strong, musty smell coming from the vents. It was a hot day, over 90, and my husband had had the unit in the fan on all the time setting. The smell is only there when the...

Constant blood/metallic smell [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there. Please tell me why I can constantly smell blood/metal... almost like it's seeping through my skin?

Cockroach Horror Movie in the 80´s [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sirs, I´´m looking for a movie I saw when I was a Kid, is an horror movie about one single man who lives alone in an Apartment, and everything was dirty, and a lot of real cockroach live there, the things start getting worst until he died about all the cockroach, I remember when he die a few...

Is this a cockroach? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just found this crawling in my kitchen. Can anyone tell me if it is a cockroach? Thanks. More photos can be found here Picasa Album - Roach? http://lh6.ggpht.com/_nrN03C2ub3c/Sq8JPKeKhEI/AAAAAAAAAMw/DLmsl9rj4og/s640/DSC05554.JPG

Cockroach maybe? [ 7 Answers ]

I one trapped in a bowl right now, so I will get a picture of it when it dies, it looks like a firefly, but I see it now in the fall and the winter, I find it in light, so not sure about a cockroach. Just so mysterious because I can not find anything, no pest control place can figure it out with...

View more questions Search