Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wcjagersma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2014, 06:20 PM
    3 way switch and pot lights
    Hi There, I know this has been answered before, but I have an issues.

I'm wiring 4 pot lights, renovation.

Here's what I have.

4 Potlights. (with three wires between 4, 3, 2, 1) Power comes to the potlight 4, 3, 2, and goes to Potlight 1. At potlight 1, the two three way switches (on 3 wires) join. I can't get this to work.

A drawing would be grand. Thanks.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 20, 2014, 11:08 AM
    The way you wired it will not work unless you ran 3-wire (such as 14/3) between the lights. Even then it is a much more complicated way to wire this.
    The simplest way to wire this is the run 2-wire cable between the lights, and 3-wire between the switches, with the power at one of the switches and the switch leg to the lights from the other switch.
    If you cannot re-wire this way then you will have to re-wire to run 3-wire cable between the lights. Then you have to be a bit clearer as to which cables go to where. Hopefully someone will then draw you a diagram, if you cannot find one already existing somewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 pot lights with 1 switch [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have installed all the lights and now it's time to flip the switch I'm getting the source from an electrical outlet on the same wall.. I have 14/2 wire Blk, whte, ground.. how do I connect a switch in order to operate the lights. I was told to connect the white from the lights directly to...

Wiring 6 pot lights with 2 plugs [ 1 Answers ]

Have 14-2 wire from panel to switch box heading off to si pot lights and 2 plug boxes all of 14-2 wire how do I tie all these wires together in the box?

Going from a ceiling fan to pot lights [ 2 Answers ]

Going from red black and white wires to just black and white how do I hook up my pot lights . Thanks

Pot lights [ 5 Answers ]

If I buy pot light from the U.S are they CSA Approved and can the be installed in Canada George

View more questions Search