Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CWC57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2014, 04:18 PM
    Interest on child support
    I have paid child support for years and I just paid it off... Now They say I owe 36,000 in interest. I am 56 years old... My wife, of 26 yrs. Is blind and gets a small disability check. I don't work anymore due to knee an shoulder injuries... I am trying to get on disability myself. But CS wants me to pay 1,000 a month... They only took 10.00 a month for the last 4 years in CS... I never ran from paying... But I am no longer a spring chicken... I don't have a way to pay the interest or the 1,000 a month... Any advice ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2014, 05:15 PM
    Was you ever in arrears with it in the past? Do you have it in writing that it was paid off? I think if you had that you could fight them coming back and claiming you owe a lot more... if there was interest, it would have been included in the amount due previously... they wouldn't come after it separately. Something doesn't sound right about this.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 20, 2014, 08:39 AM
    I agree with Smoothy that something is strange here. I wonder why "they only took" $10.00 per month. It's quite possible that wouldn't even pay the interest.

I would check to see if there was a withholding order, why it was set so low, and if it provided for interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support interest [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to reduce or eliminate my the interest on my child support arrears due to partially permanent disability. The monies from my arrears are coming out of my disability payments. Can I get my interest reduced or eliminated, at least from the time of injury?

Child support interest [ 4 Answers ]

I owe 30,000 in interest and my question is can I file bankruptcy on this money the initial support is paid I would settle with my ex but that is not a option if you no what I mean fell on hard times for 13 years I owed 24,000 the interest is more then I owed what can a guy DO??

Going under W/ back child support INTEREST [ 2 Answers ]

I was $3000.00 behind in child support back in 1991. In 2000, I found out that I now owe 14,000.00. It got to almost 19,000.00. Now I'm done with the child support but still owe the back + all that interest. As of today I owe 12,000.00. Is there a way to get this to stop? I have paid the back...

Child Support Interest [ 5 Answers ]

I recently received my last child support check from the Dept of Revenue. The other party still has an Income Deduction Order in place with his employer and they are still taking the support out of his check. The DOR sent him a refund check for the payment his employer took out of his check this...

Interest on back child support [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way for the receiving party of child support to have the interest that has accumulated on the arrearages (back support) taken off. There is no order for current support to be paid. All the interest is directly related to back support. The back support balance is $1600, but the interest...

View more questions Search