Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3044Artemis Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2014, 06:16 PM
    Aging Alcoholic Brother
    My 72 y.o. brother who is a severe alcoholic has become incontinent and seems unconcerned. He sleeps 2 hours, gets up and drinks 2 to 3 beers and goes back to bed. The only income he has is social security. What options are there for his care? I live out of the state he lives in.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 17, 2014, 06:23 PM
    Would he admit anyone into his house?

You could start here Contact NCOA and get help (a social worker) for him--IF he would agree to that.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 17, 2014, 06:25 PM
    Does he have a family doctor? Does he have friends that you know of who live nearby? Are there other family members that might be willing to assist, in helping him?

How long has it been that his life seems to resolve around drinking and sleeping. Does he buy groceries? Who pays the bills, and does he have any savings, or medical coverage or would he qualify for assisted living?

There is so much missing here. If this has been his chosen lifestyle for the past few decades, and he is managing, although not likely very well, I'm not sure what can be done. If he was drinking away his rent money, and the utilities have been turned off, that's another matter.

Have you talked to him? Would he be willing to speak to his doctor, and perhaps get a referral for assistance? I don't know what he needs, and you haven't said that he is starving to death, or ill with disease, although he sounds like he's in a bad situation with just the alcohol and the effects of that with the incompetence. If it is the alcohol. Perhaps he is pain of some sort?

More information would be helpful, including what you would like to see done, and what his immediate needs are.

Jun 18, 2014, 05:13 PM
    Does he have a family doctor? He did go to a dr. for an eye infection but I don't know if it was an eye doctor or MD.

Does he have friends that you know of who live nearby? He alienated the girlfriend who was helping him with bills, food, driving him around.

Are there other family members that might be willing to assist, in helping him? He has alienated his children who will have nothing to do with him even though they are in the same town. Two friends came to his aid when he was reported to be walking up the street in his underwear, going to the store to buy gatorade.

How long has it been that his life seems to resolve around drinking and sleeping. He has been drinking since the age of 12 from what he told me. Anytime we are in that town he is usually drunk and injured so he won't help us with maintenance. If he isn't drunk when we get there, in 2 days he is. The drinking/sleeping is more than in the past

Fall of 2013 when we were at the town twice, he took off and would not talk to us. Both visits we cleaned up tree debris from a severe storm.

Does he buy groceries? I don't know. He used to eat all the food in the house when my late-brother was alive but away. He never replaced it. There is a freezer partially full of meat that would require cooking.

After my brother died, I told him to eat up the food in the house and freezer. There was pudding and the like. He said he didn't eat that stuff. I didn't open the freezer last visit.

Who pays the bills. The former GF inputted payments on the computer for him. He pays the electric, gas, sewer/sanitation and thinks that's sufficient. It is not. There is house insurance and property taxes as well as upkeep on the house.

Does he have any savings? I don't know. I saw a cc bill where he was paying $600 per month which is more than what he said he got in SS.

Medical coverage? He did not sign up for medicare.

Would he qualify for assisted living? I am going to look into that. He is letting the house fall into significant disrepair thinking he will be able to pay a reduced price for it.

Any agreement he has made, he has welched on. Monthly rent, insurance, taxes, yard maintenance.

He's the trustee and refuses to take the property out of my late Dad's trust. My late brother left me his third. That went through probate so it's been to court once. My attorney gave him options submitted by me on living arrangements including him living in the house rent free if he willed me his 3rd and paid the insurance, taxes, utilities. No response. Other options were buy me out or pay rent.

From what I have read here, when I prevail in court, I will give him 30 days written notice to vacate; and if he doesn't, evict him.

Jun 18, 2014, 05:18 PM
    Wondergirl: I own 2/3 of the house. The deed is in my Dad's trust name and he, as trustee, won't do the paperwork. While the attorney's are hashing out the ownership fact, I am looking to what happens afterward.

Jul 4, 2014, 05:45 PM
    The girlfriend my brother alienated has taken on sobering him up. He was sober but very emotionally vulnerable when I saw him on July 2, 2014.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2014, 08:52 PM
    Why not Medicare? Did he not qualify? If not, why not Medicaid?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2014, 09:34 PM
    What does he want... no one can force care on him, unless he is wants it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Younger brother runs through sliding glass doors while older brother watches [ 3 Answers ]

I saw this on TV a few months ago, started with a bunch of parents are having a house party, which takes place in the 60's . There are two younger boys who live at the house and they are running all over the place having fun. Parents tell them time for bed. Then I remember seeing the two...

Can the property (jointly held by brother & father) transfer from brother to brother [ 1 Answers ]

I own a property jointly with my father. Now I wish to transfer/gift this property to my brother. Could you please advise what would be the best way to execute this. What are the legal complications, tax and/or any other issue. Awaiting your response. Thanks. D Dumbre. I jointly own a...

Brother alcoholic need to file Marchment act [ 1 Answers ]

I'm hoping that perhaps someone could share their experience filing a "marchment act"? My brother is an alcoholic and he was admitted into detox approx a week ago. The counselors at facility called our family to schedule an intervention because they were very concern with his health. The...

How do I evict my alcoholic brother? [ 2 Answers ]

My father has recently passed away and he left the house in my name. I have four older brothers and not one of them have contested the will. I have gone through probate and the house is no legally in my name. The problem is one of my older brothers has been living in the house with me and my...

Alcoholic, Moocher Brother [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, so I am not the parent here, I am the sister. My whole family is absolutely to the end of our ropes with my 25 year old brother. He is an alcoholic moocher. He has lived with my parents his whole life, he does not pay rent, it is like pulling teeth to ask him to do anything around the...

View more questions Search