Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gp_17 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Will I still b able to have a baby?
    Im 17 years old, and me and my boyfriend have been having unprotected sex now for about 4 or 5 months, and I haven't become pregnant. When I was 14, I had an abortion, and I'm scared that I won't be able to have a baby because of the abortion I had. Can I still have a baby, even though I've had an abortion? Also, after I had the abortion, I went straight on the pill, and I only came off it about 4months ago. Does the pill stop me from getting pregnant, full stop?
    I know I'm young and I have my whole life to live, and I know being a mother is hard work. But I just need to know that I will be able to have a baby- when the time is right, to put my mind at rest.
    EnglishRose Posts: 279, Reputation: 49

Apr 5, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Being on the pill for a long period can mess with your cycle anyway, but because you started taking it at such a young age your cycle will have reverted to how it was just after your abortion and you were 14. This means that it could take your body a while to find its pattern again. It is also possible that you are not having sex on the right days. Having an abortion will not make you infertile. If you had suffered from infections as a result of the abortion then it may affect your fertility, but you woul have known about that at the time. All these things a side, a perfectly normal fertile couple will not always get pregnant first time. Usually if you have been trying for 6 months to a year your doctor will look in to it with you, but trying means having sex on the days that you are fertile not just in general.
    HOWEVER,
    I'm sure you saw this coming... getting pregnant just to find out if you can is not a reason to do it. You are far too young to be thinking about having a baby. Getting pregnant young by accident is one thing, but trying to is just madness. There are so many other things you should be doing first. Getting an education, being sure that you have a stable home and relationship to bring your baby into. Do you have the finances to have a baby? Access to a spare £10,000 this year? At 17 I didn't even have the money to finance my own social life. Are you totally independent of your own mother? These are all things that you seriously need to consider. Like you said you have you whole life a head of you so please, don't keep having un protected sex just on the off chance you won't get pregnant! Go see your doctor and see if he can help you find a form of contraception that will let you cycle return to normal and use it for a few years before you try again.
    wagsthedog Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Apr 5, 2007, 08:15 AM
    No, having an abortion won't stop you falling pregnant again, having several will decrease the chances. We are all different and some take longer than others to fall pregnant, sometimes there is a medical condition (with man or woman), sometimes its lifestyle etc. If u go off the pill it can take a cycle or two, sometimes more before you will fall, I know of a few who have waited around a year... Abortions and miscarriages can muck things up for a bit... sometimes its just mother nature. Also, if your not ready RIGHT NOW to have a baby why are you off the pill?
    Thank u ENGLISHROSE :)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 08:16 AM
    I agree with English Rose... good solid advice. I second everything she said.
    ncgirl_21 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Apr 5, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Englishrose gave you the best advice and you should take that advice and if you plan on being sexual active please use some form of birth control even though not 100% effective it can prevent an accident. Wait till you're a little older to get pregnant you have senior prom, graduation, possibly collage and collage can be a blast plus when you turn 21 u might want to go out and party just cause you can but you want be able to with a baby to take care of. THINK ABOUT IT!
    EnglishRose Posts: 279, Reputation: 49

Apr 9, 2007, 07:48 AM
    I totally forget that a lot of you can't drink until you are 21 (its only 18 here). As much as I do believe that alcohol should be respected and taken sensibly now, I think you should be old enough to learn this the hard way before you have children.
    Go out, live a little hun. Its only when you have been young, independent and free that you can really appriciate commitment and stability.
    gp_17 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Thanks for all your coments!! Im going to wait for the right time. And I'm from london by the way! Lol xxxxxxxxxx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A baby having a baby. [ 15 Answers ]

My sister is 13 she's gotten into some bad groups of friends and now she might be pregnant.And the guy who got her took her inocense was 17 almost 18. I feel as if she's still a baby. She's doing drugs, telling my parents off. My parents don't know what to do for her and neither do I. she's to...

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

Trying to have a baby [ 3 Answers ]

OK.. I'm 18 and getting married in April. I want to have a baby I've been with his guy off and on before he got married well he was married for a yr and has a 1 yr old.. well when he got a divorce me and him got back togeather we have been trying for 8 months and we both went to the doc and...

My baby [ 2 Answers ]

My baby is 8 moths old now.last month when she was 7 months old ,her breath started to smell very bad.we went to doctor and she told us to give her water to clean in her mouth after she eats her meal.we did it but nothing changed.we thought it smells bad because she is hungry but we tried it and...

Want a baby [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant and I have been off the pill for eight months. We have not had any luck,so if anyone has any ideas that could help us to get pregnant Please help I even tried douching after sex because I heard it would push the sperm farther up. Any idea would be...

View more questions Search