Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karenpeter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2014, 07:13 AM
    Cracks on inside of breezeblock wall
    We are thinking of buying a house that was built About 40years ago but noticed there is a zig zag crack on an internal breeze block wall that goes right through to the garage. The outside of the house has no cracks should we be worried and what do we do to sort it. Thanks Karen.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2014, 02:50 PM
    That is a typical CMU zig zag settlement crack. May or may not be an issue. If it appears to have been filled in before and the crack widened, then settlement may be continuing. If the crack is fairly small and looks like it is original, it can be caulked in and repainted. Is the floor cracked? Do you know if that is a bearing wall? If it is at a gable end, probably not.
    Karenpeter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2014, 12:57 AM
    Thank you for your answer. The crack is on the ground floor in the middle of the house on a wall without a window
    It looks like you could only get a sheet of paper in the gap but the same wallpaper has been there for years so I think it is original. I do not understand how there can be settlement on a house that has not had work done on it in over 30 years!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2014, 04:41 AM
    Settlement can occur no matter how old a house is. Consider the severe drought certain parts of the country had the last few years... enough moisture left the ground its caused enough contraction of the soild houses what have been there many decades as well as newer ones suffered severe foundation damage due to the settling that resulted.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2014, 12:54 PM
    Have it inspected by a certified home inspection agency (found and hired by you, not the realtor's suggestion) and/or a structural engineer. Does your state or region require disclosure of various items relating to the property by the present owner? What you can see may be only the tip of the iceberg.
    Settlement can occur anytime in a structure's life for a great variety of reason, even from changes in underground (or above) water flow caused by development or other changes nearby or distant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint compound cracks on inside corners of drywall [ 4 Answers ]

I'm finishing drywall and am having a problem with the inside corners... I used the 90 minute Sheetrock Lightweight Setting-Type Joing Compound powder to embed the tape everywhere... all that worked great... However, I'm finishing with Sheetrock Lightweight All Purpose Joint Compound (blue...

Repair cracks in wall [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 cracks in my wall that are about 1/4 in. wide and 3ft. Long. I called a contractor out and he told me that the cracks were not from the foundation. How can I repair these cracks myself

How to repair big cracks on foundation wall [ 1 Answers ]

As recently we have replace our old house rain drain. After digging, We notice there are several huge crack on the foundation wall. Some of It even close to an inch. Also there was a ( I shape ) Industry long 25 ft Long Steel Metal to holding up one of the side of our old house. In Order hold...

Cracks inside extension right through plaster and breeze block [ 4 Answers ]

I really could do with a bit of advise. We bought our house last year and all fine. The house had an extension done approx 10 years ago. The extension is 2 storey kitchen/diner and upstairs double bedroom. Yesterday we decided to decorate the bedroom (currently our 4 year olds) she had big double...

Cracks where ceiling meets wall [ 4 Answers ]

I moved in 30 years ole house 4 years ago. When I moved in, the house was newly painted. Now I found cracks on paint everywhere. I don't worry about them 'cause it's just cosmetic. However, there's a long line of crack where ceiling meets wall in all three bedrooms upstairs. It's like...

View more questions Search