Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KitKatKassi Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2014, 09:27 AM
    My mom lives in Mexicali, and she says it's a good place to live. She says there is little crime there. One of my half brothers is 2, the other is 7. I am 14. Again, I don't ask for much. Food, water, shelter, and clothes are all I need.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2014, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KitKatKassi View Post
    Food, water, shelter, and clothes are all I need.
    And those all cost money. Plus there will be expenses you haven't thought of and others that will come up.

Check out the situation thoroughly and don't let your emotions take over. Like smoothy mentioned, "the grass is always greener...."

Mexicali isn't the best place to move to, according to my research --

Once, border cities like Mexicali (population 700,000) were flooded with newcomers trying to go north. Today, they are filling with obstinate deportees, cut off from U.S.-born children, jobs and car payments, adrift in a kind of stateless purgatory that is beyond the United States but not really in Mexico either. They face a U.S. border that is tougher and more expensive to cross than ever.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...c97_story.html

Cost of living -- http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...&city=Mexicali

Jun 16, 2014, 09:37 AM
    Like I said before, the grass IS greener on the other side. And second of all, I don't grow much, I don't eat much, sleeping has no cost, and water isn't a big problem.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 16, 2014, 09:48 AM
    Like I said before, the grass IS greener on the other side.
    You said this before, but do you understand the meaning of that phrase. It means that things often LOOK better on the other side, but aren't always. So living with your mom may seem like it will be better, but it may be different if you actually so it.

But, as noted, your situation is complicated by the fact that mom lives in another country. You will not be allowed across the border without a parent accompanying you. So running away is not a real option. Not that I would condone it, even if it were.

If dad is physically abusing you, then you need to report it to a guidance counselor at school or a clergyman or other responsible adult. If an investigation shows the abuse, then it might smooth the way for mom to take custody. And your mom saying there are no court papers is not reliable. Since it appears she left and went back to Mexico, your father may have been awarded custody by default.

At 14 a court will listen to your preference. So if mom hires an attorney in NC to file for custody, the court will listen to what you want, but the court will make the decision based on what it feels is in your best interests.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2014, 09:49 AM
    Like I said before, the grass IS greener on the other side. And second of all, I don't grow much, I don't eat much, sleeping has no cost, and water isn't a big problem.
    But you have personal needs, you will need a bed and linens/blankets, you will need new shoes from time to time, plus clothes, water and food have to be paid for. Will you have your own room? Will you have to babysit your step sibs (for free)?

Ask your dad how much he spends on your personal maintenance and upkeep in a month's time.

Jun 16, 2014, 10:00 AM
    My mom has always lived in Mexico, she only visits the States. And she has bought a house, 3 rooms. I could have a room, my half bros another room, and my mom one for herself. Room problem solved. I don't mind watching my half bros. Besides, I think they get babysitted by my grandma.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 16, 2014, 10:24 AM
    OP failed to answer whether she was born in the US. If not, she might be advised to stay here. The current regime in Washington is encouraging illegal immigration by (and subsequent "pathways to citizenship" for) children in such circumstances. Future administrations and laws might not be so hospitable. Thus, if OP was not born in the US she might not be able to return in the future.

Jun 16, 2014, 10:32 AM
    Who is OP?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 16, 2014, 10:38 AM
    Who is OP?
    The person who asked the question. OP is Original Poster. In this case, you.

Jun 16, 2014, 10:41 AM
    Oh, thanks. I was born in California, AK lawyer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 16, 2014, 10:53 AM
    Oh, thanks. I was born in California, AK lawyer
    I assume you have a birth certificate to prove it. But the problem remains. Especially since you would be an US citizen, you can't travel outside the country without a parent's permission. You can't stay in Mexico without their government's approval. So the bottom line here is this has to be done legally through the courts.

Jun 16, 2014, 11:00 AM
    Crap. I have to tell my mom this.

Jun 16, 2014, 11:20 AM
    Thank you everyone. You random people have helped me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm serious I've been trying to find this movie for years and years and years [ 9 Answers ]

I think this movie/ TV film is from the 80s or 90s. I cannot remember the name of the movie as I watched it when I was quite young. What I can remember is that two young girls meet on a beach, one with blonde hair the other dark haired. It is set on a beach for majority of the film (I think). The...

I am 56 years old. I made joint replacement operation 3 years ago on my right hip. [ 4 Answers ]

I am 56 years old. I made joint replacement operation 3 years ago on my right hip. What kind of excesses I allowed to do in order to loss 50 kg in one year or earlier?

Am 19 years and love a boy of 21 years. We've been together for more than 3 years [ 3 Answers ]

We really love each other and want to get married but the only problem is that he's a Muslim and I am a Hindu. His elder brother married a Marathi girl and everyone accepted their relationship at his place. My sister married a Hindu boy and everyone at home is very happy. They want me to do the...

If charged six years jail time and 4 years probation will you serve all 6 years jail [ 2 Answers ]

My exhusband was charged with theft by bring stolen property into state, theft by taking, theft by receiving stolen property, criminal trespass, aggravated cruelty to animals, removal of id items from animals. His sentence is 6 years jail time and 4 years probation. Will he serve all 6 years jail...

If charged six years jail time and 4 years probation will you serve all 6 years jail [ 1 Answers ]

My exhusband has never execised his visitation rights of our twin girls. We have been divorced for 7 1/2 years. He is in jail now. I have not received child support in 2 years. Is this considered abandament? I live in Georgia.

View more questions Search