Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2briegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Step-parenting a defiant child?
    I'm getting married soon and I and my fiancé are in our early twenties. He has a 3yr old daughter who is the result of a "one-night-stand" in high school. :o I was lucky enough to meet her when she wasn't even two yet, so she really has no memories without me in her life; of that I am thankful. The problem is, because my fiancé was so young when he had her, his Mom kind of took over as parent for the time being until he was mature enough to take on that role. He has grown up so much since then and of course is "being Dad" now, but his Mom still feels it her right to get in the middle of him trying to raise his daughter. Because she is "the grandma", his daughter of course gets away with everything and is now learning to be very defiant with me, knowing that Grandma will let her get away with it. And she of course has her Dad wrapped around her finger. She is not my daughter so this might be that big of a problem, but she is only three! I'm going to be co-raising her for quite awhile, and even if I'm "just" the step-parent, I do not need to be getting walked all over already! I just don't know how to get a handle on all of this without over stepping my "boundaries".:confused:
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 07:20 AM
    You need to sit down with your fiancé and SET boundaries, and agree to stick to them.

As far as his mom goes... in our family, what happens at gramma's is different than what happens at home, but she should still respect your parenting choices, as long as they are not endangering the child.

Unfortunately, your fiancé needs to be the one to talk to her about that. He needs to let her know how she is undermining your authority, and how you ARE the daughter's parent, even if not biologically.

If he is not willing to do both--talk to you about boundaries and work with you to enforce them, and talk to his mom about backing down... it's going to be a miserable 15 years for you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 07:25 AM
    I know a lot of 2 and 3 year olds who are defiant and don't fit the step parent situation you are in. Grandma's authority will be an issue for quite some time. Your future husband gave her the authority to be the mom because he wasn't able to raise her, so grandma is really the mom in her eyes. Take it slow, I'm talking years, for this transition and try to make a strong friendship with grandma, she's your future mother-in-law. Ask her advice on several matters from time to time to show you recognize her "expertise". Be firm but always fair with your step daughter when you deal with her defiance. She is trying to show some control over her life, most children do at this age. My grand daughters fiorst word was NO.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Apr 5, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Your fiancé needs to take the parenting role from his mom, completely. Make a visitation time for grandma and the little girl, but make it clear to the grandma that she is no longer in charge. (I am assuming your fiancé has custody of the child legally, not his mother.) Then your husband needs to have a talk with his daughter. At this point, although the defiance is geared toward you, if you haven't been playing a parenting role in her life, you shouldn't be the one to bring it up. Let her dad explain how things are, and what he expects of her and her relationship with you. (Make sure you and dad are on the same page first.) It is a matter of time and routine, discipline and reward. It will simply take time to establish boundaries with her. Make it clear what rules and expectations there are. Make a reward chart for complying. Have a special spot designated for time outs. This kid is going to test your limits and your patience, so be ready. Never yell or scream, always remain calm and in control. This shows her she can't rattle you. Be consistent with the rules, rewards, and punishments. She needs to know that even when she is being 'bad' she will be loved. Take into consideration that grandma was caring for her, loved her, and she was used to the way grandma did things. This is a huge change for her, and she is trying to figure out if she is as loved and as safe as before, and what the limits are in her new environment. Give her time to sort it all out too.
    Lillian42 Posts: 83, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2007, 09:23 PM
    I agree you need to sit down and have rules if she is only 3 and can walk all over you it will only get worse much worse.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Apr 22, 2007, 09:47 AM
    It may be helpful to know that 3 year olds are defiant by nature so her behavior, maddening as it is, is normal. I suggest that you set up a system of consistent boundaries with your boyfriend and his mother, planned when the child is asleep and not being disruptive. Introduce time outs and a reward system. Set small goals for what you want to accomplish - for example, start with getting her on a predictable schedule with set times for naps and bedtime, and work from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step by step needed to become and operate as a Talent Agent [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I am interested in operating a Talent agency of my own, and would appreciate any information on where to begin the process. I know I need to get licensed and a surety bond in the amount of $50,000 according to the new standards, but I need to know where to go to get the application for...

Defiant 5-year-old boy [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am a mother of a 4-year-old boy with defiant behavior. My son is very smart and advanced in his academics. He may also be Gifted and Talented. But his behavior is very BAD. I have been forced to dis-enroll him from TWO day cares because of it. He hasn't even started grade school yet. He...

Step Parenting [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am a mother of 4 and am married for the second time. We have been married for 6 years 7 in November. We have already weathered a lot of storms with the children. My oldest is 18 almost 19 and he is out of the house living with my mom. He had a lot of issues and we had to make him move for...

How to partition a hard drive step by step? [ 2 Answers ]

Downloaded a program and it formatted my hard drive. Have a 20 gig hard drive after it done this, it now reads 12 gig Can anybody help get the 20 gig back Need steps to clear this up, I don't know anything about hard drives. I'm running Xp Home on HP. Pavilion. Help

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search