Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bryianbuilder12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2014, 04:49 PM
    Outdoor deck repair
    a section of my back deck was recently burned. And I was going about fixing when someone told me that what I was doing was not structurally sound. Is the fix I am doing acceptable or not.

Using the existing burnt beam I am atatching a 2x4 to help support the beam that was burned. While still using the existing beam. If a city inspector saw that would it be acceptable?

please let me know.

thank you
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2014, 05:00 PM
    Sister the same size 2X to the burnt beam. If it was a 4X6, sister with a 2X6. However, if it is really burned, why tempt fate and injury, replace the beam.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2014, 05:37 PM
    My company deals with a lot of rot and home structural damage, ma is right. Sistering an equivalent width 2 by whatever to one or both sides may be well enough, however if the damage has consumed more than 30 or 40 percent of the beam girth then replacing the whole beam is ideal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor outlets on my front deck [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting in outdoor outlets on my front deck. I have 12-2 UF wire to run underground from my electrical panel to a j-box under my deck. Can I run 12-2 romex (usually used for indoor wiring) from the j-box through pvc conduit to the weatherproof electrical outdoor outlets?

Dimmer Switch for outdoor deck [ 1 Answers ]

I have an outdoor covered deck which has six recessed can lights which are currently controlled by on/off switches located at the family room entrance to the deck and at the master bedroom entrance to to the deck. Can I put a dimmer switch on either or both of these switch locations and will it...

Outdoor deck security rail height [ 4 Answers ]

I am from Illinois. I want to build an oudoor deck for a friend in Maryland. The deck will be roughly 6' above grade. I say that at this height a 42" security rail along the perimiter of the deck is required by code. Others disagree, suggesting it needs to be only 36" high. What can you tell me...

View more questions Search