Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2014, 02:24 PM
    How do I remove these windows?
    I have two windows in my basement that I want to remove and replace with sliders. They are simply big panes of glass held in place by what looks to be aluminum channel. I don't know if this is a cap that snaps over some other channel or what and the only way I know to go about removing them is to try to gently pry this aluminum away from the glass. I thought I'd ask here first though, in case someone can give me more information about this. Attached are four pictures from the inside and out.Name:  Win 1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  962.3 KBName:  Win 2.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  1.00 MBName:  Win 3.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  836.4 KBName:  Win 4.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  944.3 KB

Jun 12, 2014, 02:24 PM
    Pics 1 & 2 are on the outside and pics 3 & 4 are on the inside.
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 12, 2014, 03:40 PM
    I can't tell too much from the pictures. Normally there is some kind of a "buck" or frame that was put in when the concrete was poured that the window was nailed to. From the looks of things I would pull the trim off the inside and outside to see if you could see how it was fastened in place. One suggestion I do have is to tape the windows corner to corner inside and out with duct tape or some kind of strong tape. Old glass can be very brittle and shatter cutting you. The kitty corner tape will help to hold the glass together, but caution should be taken when working the window, especially if you have to pound or pry at all to get it out.

The window may have its own casing or it may be that it was sandwiched between the inside and outside casings. If you pull the inside trim off, you should be able to see if the window is in a frame or just sandwiched between things.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2014, 04:05 PM
    What material is the frame made from? Wood, plastic, metal? Inside and out.

I agree with studs ad. lots and lots of a wide tape criss crossed all over it on both sides to contain breaking glass if and when it breaks....I'll thinking its almost inevitable. Thats a big piece...a bigh chunk breaking loose from the high side and falling unrestrained can easily cause a life threatening injury.

Jun 12, 2014, 07:56 PM
    I don't see any frame of any kind. All I can see are these trim pieces. They appear to be aluminum. I was planning on taping all over the glass, but thank y'all for pointing that out. Yeah, it's pretty thick glass, like maybe 1/4" so I know it's going to be heavy as all get out. I may end up intentionally breaking it depending on what I find. I'll try to figure out what the trim is and see if I can get an inside piece off and report back my findings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I remove tinted windows [ 5 Answers ]

I need to remove the tint from my windows

Can't remove Windows SP3 on XP Home [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, a few months ago my Windows Media Player, Real Player and Windows Movie Maker quit playing my music files. I downloaded MediaMonkey and VLC player and they play fine on those 2 programs. I have been reading a lot about the SP3 service pack so I got rid of IE8 and the computer went back to IE7....

Remove windows xp [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have an old Gateway 2000 tower given to me by a family member. They tried to upgrade with windows xp but didin't have the proper product key for it. I would like to know how I remove that xp so I can install xp that I have ? I can only get the thing to start in safe mode because the windows...

How to remove glass block windows [ 1 Answers ]

I have three windows that are glass blocks. They seem to have an aluminum frame around the entire window. I want to replace them with a picture window in the middle and double hungs on each side. Is it possible to knock out the glass block without taking out the aluminum frame?? I'd like to do...

View more questions Search