Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Socalstarter Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2014, 12:47 PM
    Bringing to life
    Hey every one I got a hyundai sonata 98 not working I'm trying to bring it to life. Yesterday I finally made it start after I replace all the belts including timing belt (adjuster belt was broken) it started at first try but it was running rough I am sure I alighned everything as supposed. Then itshutted down so I tried again and it started. Any ideas?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2014, 05:35 PM
    Perhaps I am old school... how long did it sit.. not running? If it sat for a long time. Did you clean out all of the fuel lines, drain the gas tank? Replace the spark plugs and the wires?

Jun 13, 2014, 08:00 AM
    Thanks for your answer I will clean all the fuel system and cables,sparklugs,and coil. Do you know how can I test the crank position sensor?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2014, 09:41 AM
    I'd focus on the Ignition Control Module (ICM). Apply silicone heat transfer compound to the back of the ICM, if you decide to replace it. Also, don't overlook replacing the fuel filter.

Jun 13, 2014, 01:08 PM
    Thanks tx I claened all the fuel system,sparkplugs,cables, and coil. Everything is good. How can I check the ICM? Don't you think the crank position sensor could be the problem? Thanks in advance
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2014, 06:04 PM
    Yes, the CKP could definitely be the problem. Take the ICM to AutoZone and have them test it on their Well's machine. My experience has been if it tests bad it is really bad. However, if it tests okay, it may still be bad. Instead, I recommend changing these problematic components every 125,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Jun 27, 2014, 12:38 PM
    I got a po110 code on my 98 hyundai sonata which is a problem with iat sensor (obd2) I called autozone and they said this car doesn't have this kind of sensor any help is welcomed thanks
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2014, 01:28 PM
    You have an Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

1998 Hyundai Sonata 2.0L MFI DOHC 4cyl
    AutoZone Part Number: SU2181
    $17.99

Jun 28, 2014, 12:54 AM
    I couldn't check it today. I've been trying to find any information on the internet but nothing shown for hyundai sonata. Can you tell me where is it located? Thanks
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2014, 06:23 AM
    Likely on the air intake. Look at the picture on AutoZone's website and then locate it on your car.

Jul 7, 2014, 07:29 PM
    Hey tex I will tell you everything what I did to my car so maybe you could give me a diagnose. I got this car from some one after he had it park for about 6 months when I got it I started by checking all the motor belts,cables,spark plugs,fuel filter,starter,cam and crank sensors everything was good but the timing tensioner that was broken so I replaced it. After I finished putting everything back together I started it and it ran rough so I adjusted the speed sensor and when idle the car runs smooth but as soon as I engage the speed (automatic transmission) the rpm go up and down. Do you have any idea what could be the problem?
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2014, 05:46 AM
    Fluctuating rpm is often a dead giveaway that the ICM is bad. Did you ever replace it?

Jul 24, 2014, 09:22 AM
    No I haven't ever replaced it I'm going to remove it later and take it to autozone to see if it good. It does the fluctuating only when the transmition is engage it and as soon as I push the acelerator it runs pure smooth no problems at all I can run it at 90mph and I can't feel I am that fast even on the hills it does not reduce its speed much
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2014, 10:03 AM
    Here's the deal with AutoZone's Well's machine. If it tests good, it may not be good; however, if it tests bad, it is bad. That's been my experience. Instead, I now recommend replacing ICMs every 125,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Dec 16, 2014, 01:22 PM
    98 hyundai sonata(
    My 98 hyundai sonata does not start. I have checked the starter and is good,I replaced the alternator,the ignition coil is good ,no problems with the gasoline pump. Any body has an idea what else to check? I don't know what the crank sensor is for. Can some one tell me? Thank you every one
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2014, 01:29 PM
    The CKP Sensor controls timing, by providing the trigger signal for when the ICM fires.

Dec 16, 2014, 02:41 PM
    That means the CKP can be the problem then. Is there any way to test it with out remove it off the car?

Dec 16, 2014, 02:49 PM
    Also do you know how to test the ignition coil pack? My car is a 4 cylinder 2.0 98 hyundai sonata. Well I just need the ohm results thank you tx
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2014, 04:29 PM
    Testing coils is pretty much a waste of time, since you cannot test them under load. My rule of thumb is to replace them every 125,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Dec 17, 2014, 07:30 AM
    Yesterday I removed the timing belt cover and I found out the timing belt was missing some teeth. I started cheching here and there and I saw that the 98 hyundai sonata I is a interference engine. What that mean? If you can explain me. I also found out there's no power coming out of the coil so I'm going to replace it today. I checked all my fuses and relays are good and I have power in the coil connector. What I am worried about now is if my valvs are good or bent. Is there any way I can inspect them before I tried to start my car? Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it right to be bringing up the past? [ 4 Answers ]

I cheated on my girl friend like 6 times during our 2 years together. She decided to give me another chance. I regret it with all my heart. Now we keep fighting and even though she knows I won't do her wrong again she still brings up the past out of the blue often. I get mad when she brings it up...

Bringing Our Bedroom To Life [ 11 Answers ]

Me and my wife have been married for almost a year and together for 6yrs. At first our sex life was off the charts and now it is nothing to write home about. We have had our up's and down's and split up 2yrs ago. But it just has not gotten to that real exciting point again. I love my wife dearly...

Bringing a lawsuit [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question as to weather I could actually have a lawsuit against an person where I work, I am not sure under what kind of category it falls under as it is kind of weird. Also the people I work for kind of are afraid I will sue them which leads me to want to know. So.. about a year ago I...

View more questions Search