Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    namchan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2005, 06:33 PM
    Enlarge a partition under RAID
    Hello All Expert,

I would like to repartition in my fileserver. It is because that the main partition "C" drive is not enough space to install new program. My fileserver has "C" and "D" drive, "C" install windows 2000 server and "D" keep all data. Moreover the Fileserver running under RAID 1 (Mirror). When I install partition magic to the win2k, but it's not success. How to repartition or enlarge the "C" drive. Thank you for your reply.

Thanks and Regards
    Nam :confused:
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 22, 2005, 08:52 PM
    Please do not cross-post. Thanks. :)

Please elaborate on your situation, I'm not sure I understand. This is what I'm getting:

You have a windows "C" partition, which is too small
    You have a windows "D" (RAID 1 array).

What is the RAID 1 array made up of? How many physical hard drives are in the machine, and what is the partition layout of each one?
    namchan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2005, 01:50 AM
    Resize partition
    Hello psi42,

Sorry, I don't know which forum I post it.

I have a fileserver with five SISC harddisk, run RAID 5.
    C drive size is 4G for OS
    D drive size is 100G for data

I want to enlarge C drive. How can I do? Which software can do this?
    I try to install partition magic, but not success to install it.

Thanks and Regards
    Nam
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2005, 02:35 AM
    In your first post you specifically mention RAID 1. Now you are saying you have RAID 5 with SCSI. I assume you have 4 36GB drives in the array and 1 hot spare. Not that any of this matters. All that matters is how you can repartition the drive. Partition magic was your best bet. Partition magic is breaking rules when it does its thing and that's why OS's don't do it natively. Have you tried Symantic Volume Manager? You are going to need a product intended for enterprises since raid-5 is not predominent for home use. It may be cheaper for you to buy or borrow a 100GB hard drive, back up the data, Reformat and reinstall the system, then restore the data.

Gl
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 28, 2005, 03:37 AM
    Is this hardware or software RAID?
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2005, 01:02 PM
    Appears to be hardware raid. At least Win2k Enterprise and Win2003 don't support hot spares in software raid.
    blur19755 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2005, 02:12 AM
    Hi, I have similar problem... just that I'm having two 33.6 GB scsi harddisk running on RAID 1, currently drive c have only 8 GB whereby the remaining space locates in drive d. Can really Symantic Volume Manager solve my problem, because my current OS is window server 2003 and have AD inside... I dun want to backup whole thing and reinstall the system... troublesome and hard... If possible, I would like to do the resizing part only.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2005, 07:12 AM
    On a server, the C drive should ONLY hold the OS. Programs and data should be on other partitions.
    blur19755 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2005, 05:57 PM
    I know all the programs and data should be install into other drive... but the server wasn't handle by me previously. All I can do for now is to solve the spacing issue... if possible. So I wonder Symantic Volume Manager can do the resizing for me? And will it bring any impact to AD or other applications?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 7, 2005, 02:50 PM
    You currently have a mirror config (raid1) yes? Therefore I would break the mirror (this means you have 2 copies of the data :) Then I would change the partition sizes of the first half of the mirror, and if that works re-create the mirror using the second drive!

This way you have a backup of the original setup should anything happen without actually having to make the backup ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sata Raid [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Looking for a laymans explanation of SATA RAID and why it would be good to have in a Hi end DAW PC. Thanks Stu

Raid/sata150 [ 8 Answers ]

I need advice in regards to setting up RAID HDD configuration. I'm a gamer, only playing half-life, the machines primary use. Currently using a WD Raptor SATA/150 HDD. Will going to a RAID set up improve performance in this environment? Thx in advance. System profile: P4C 3.0 CPU Asus P4800...

RAID & Hot Swapping HDDs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, After reading an article about RAID and hot swapping HDDs, I am considering that option and have a question. The article described a Promise system with a RAID controller card (0+1) and hotswap drive housings. If I decide to go this way I would have two of the drive housings in the...

View more questions Search