Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Quextyl Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2014, 05:31 PM
    Rescreening doors with plastic screen
    I have 6 large wooden doors with metal screen frames. What is the best approach - start with the short side and then go down the long side - do opposite sides first then do the other two sides - or something else?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2014, 07:04 PM
    THe rubber cord that locks the screen into the frame is one long piece... you don't have a choice but pick a side and work your way around the frame.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jun 10, 2014, 03:04 PM
    It's really difficult to get a nice tight fit. Especially when the screen is sagging at the center as you work around. Using some cardboard box pieces to raise the screen closer to level can help. They make a tool to help insert the plastic string, although you don't need it, be careful what you use, you don't want to tear or punch holes in a new screen.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2014, 04:28 PM
    That's pretty good advice... it definitely helps on the first few until you get the hang of it. You might come back to redo the first one after you did a few others.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 04:51 PM
    I do a short side and then a long side. Then I put a 2x4 under each end of the screen. I deflect or bend the screen slightly in the middle by clamping the center of each long side with a clamp, this makes the screen bow a bit. Then I do the next long side and finally the short side, when you unclamp the screen it get very tight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing bypass shower doors and the shwer walls aren't plumb so doors have gaps [ 2 Answers ]

Cannot adjust shower doors to align correctly because shower walls aren't plumb... the shower bypass doors/rails etc are level and plumb but they leave gaps because the wall of the shower isn't plumb... any way to correct that enough to align the doors? Out of plumb appx 1/8 " on both sides. ...

Maytag dryer lint screen plastic cover [ 0 Answers ]

How do I remove plastic cover on inside of dryer. The lint screen slides down and then the plastic cover is in front on inside of dryer. I want to remove it, so I can vaccuum inside. Thanks

Rescreening Pool Enclosure [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone point me to where I can find out how to replace screen for the top/ceiling portion (over the pool) of an aluminum framed pool enclosure? Sides are no problem.

View more questions Search