Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbasye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2014, 04:39 PM
    Death and internet info
    My son just died. He left behind a 7yo child. If you type his name into the search bar a mug shot of when he was arrested for (non-driving) DUI comes up. He was in his car waiting for a driver to take him home. He was sick and drank to stop the pain and was a diabetic. He regretted it. I wish the little girl wouldn't get to see her father's picture in that state. He told me he was tired of hurting and his situation was hopeless. We were in the process of helping him when he died in our home. Is there anything that can be done to remove negative info from the internet? We can be bothered but a child can be affected. No one seems to know what can be done. Thank you.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 8, 2014, 04:42 PM
    You might be able to contact the website owner or the issuing police district if it is their website and ask for it to be removed for the reasons your stating here. They may ask for proof so be ready to give it. Sorry for your loss.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 8, 2014, 04:49 PM
    Sadly, once a picture is on the net, it's there forever. Even if the website owner removes it, it will always be there in some capacity.

The child is 7 now. She shouldn't be accessing the internet on her own. I would talk to her as she grows up, tell her about her father, explain, as she becomes old enough to understand, that he made mistakes, like all humans do, and sadly, some of those mistakes do show up online.

When she is old enough to access the internet, if she finds this info, and her family has prepared her for this, it won't be a shock. She'll already know.

Instead of trying to hide your sons mistakes, tell his child about them as she grows, but also tell her all the good things. In fact, make the good things the main topic of discussion.

Every human has things they've done that they regret. Children have the right to know that their parents are human beings too, they're not perfect. No one is.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and most of all for the loss this 7 year old child now has to face. Be there for her. That's what she needs.

Good luck to you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 8, 2014, 04:50 PM
    I understand how you feel, but really think that love and nurturing is all that is important, not shielding a child from reality. It sounds like you do provide tons of love. You say you can't be bothered... I wouldn't either. A 7 year old is already very, very aware.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2014, 05:59 PM
    Crimes and mugshots are public record... particularly after a conviction. You can't make them go away. There are many rich Hollywood celebrities who haven't been able to do it despite their deep pockets and powerful lawyers.

Just being in your car drunk alone is sufficient for a conviction. I had a friend that was caught arrest tried and convicted for a DWI... he was sleeping in the back seat in a parking lot and the keys were outside the car on top of one of the tires. Cop even agreed to all of that in court... didn't matter in his case either.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 8, 2014, 06:53 PM
    Smoothy, my Uncle was on a camping trip, wasn't going anywhere, just sitting around the campfire drinking. He ran out of cigarettes, had a full pack in his car, he went to the passenger side of his car to get the cigarettes out of the glove compartment, didn't even get into the car. He was arrested and convicted of a DUI. He never even got into the car!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2014, 07:05 PM
    That's an odd one for sure Alty, Not just that a cop happened by to see it. Was that in Canada or the USA when it happened? First story I've heard of one like that before. Thats really strict.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2014, 12:59 AM
    If this is a private web site, you may ask the owner to take it off. If this is the court or police web site there is no way to get it removed. Information that is true does not have to be removed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Privacy, the Internet and info on AMHD [ 5 Answers ]

There was recently a child of 14 who posted about having sex with her boyfriend - she gave her name AND her City AND I "found" her in less than a minute. I have no evil intent but someone else - ? It made me question whether some info posted by people who are underage should be somehow edited. ...

Wrong info on death certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My mother in law passed away last week... she was in the hospital awaiting a liver transplant. She began to vomit quite a bit so doctors found ulcers. They put her to sleep to "clamp" the ulcers but a few days later she vomitted again. They gave her a phenigran sp? To help with the nausea. She...

I need info about the internet business without investment [ 2 Answers ]

Send correct and good answer how to start the internet business without investment

Internet contact info [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find out the email addresses of corporations, businesses, politicians, heads of governments overseas, movie stars, recording celebrities, etc. I consider myself politically active and would like to contact these individuals and businesses to urge support for social issues, but want...

View more questions Search