Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    d_chall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2014, 09:54 AM
    Skip cross pieces on narrow soffit?
    If I'm building a narrow ceiling soffit (<2' wide) and want to maximize head space can I safely leave out the cross-pieces? This would allow me to install the sheet rock flush with the beam and save that last 1.5". Normally it wouldn't be worth it butt this is a very low beam and I think every inch will count. Would this solution work?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2014, 07:39 PM
    Let me see if I have this right.You have a beam you want to cover with sheetrock and it is 18'' from a wall.

What is in this area? If nothing , it does not have to be closed in.

If you are going to span sheetrock 2 feet with no supports it will bow down over a period of time from its own weight.

Chuck
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Jun 11, 2014, 10:56 AM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Desperate to get two bulbs out of two very very narrow glass shades [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Victorian ceiling chandelier that has 3 Northwood hand blown glass shades. Very valuable. I am trying to get the bulbs out of two. One has a narrow pointed bulb that is turning the wire as I try to unscrew it, thereby twisting the wire and getting no where. The other has a wide bulb...

Narrow horiz. Line on TV screen [ 1 Answers ]

All I get on my TV is a narrow horiz. Line. Plus audio.

What is a 704 base narrow pallet impact? [ 5 Answers ]

When a vet says your puppy has a 704 base narrow pallet impact problem, what is it?

Tall narrow walls [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. I have had this dream or something similar for years. I am alone in a room with tall walls. Sometimes so tall I can't see the ceilings. I remember it's so scarry I sometimes freeze and can't move in my dreams. Thanks for your help.

Stud wall: Do I need cross pieces? [ 6 Answers ]

Just finished part1 of a Honeydo project: Stud wall 20' long with a door near one end. I'll do the drywall next weekend... Currently it's all vertical studs, with the exception of the horizontal above the pre-hung door. I'll be drywalling both sides. Are cross pieces necessary? Thanks!

View more questions Search