Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2014, 02:20 PM
    How do I humanely evict chipmunks from my house foundation?
    I recently discovered that chipmunks are living in some of the exposed holes in cement blocks that are part of the foundation of my house. When the house was constructed, a "shelf" of cement blocks was incorporated into the foundation along the front of the house with the intention of adding a stone front, but this was never done. A deck was added, hiding the "shelf," and making it difficult to access it. Now I know that my basement floods because of rain coming in via those open cement block holes and I want to remove the chipmunks before covering the holes.

The chipmunk tunnels in the blocks themselves might go 7-8 feet down. (They're against the house, so I'm unable to look inside.) It’s conceivable that the chipmunks have dug beyond even that. The deck is over 20’ long, but I can’t tell if all the holes are exposed (and potentially inhabited) until removing some deck boards. (Some of the holes may have already been filled with something before the deck was built.) Is putting mothballs near the openings I can get to helpful? I'm concerned about actually dropping the mothballs in. Does Juicy Fruit gum work? Any help will be appreciated.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2014, 02:24 PM
    Spray amonia down in the holes... worry more about fixing the problem than about evicting them. They are small rodents and will desicate without issues with odors.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 6, 2014, 03:09 PM
    Chewing gum of any type would be crueler than mothballs. Ammonia would work, but it might take awhile to disperse down the holes. The reason mothballs work on mammals such as chips or squirrels is they smell so strongly the animals have to leave. Other materials, such as bear spray, have less toxicity but are more offensive to humans

Assuming you don't want to leave the tops of the blocks exposed any longer than necessary, the mothballs will be the most effective and the least unpleasant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this just settling of the house or a serious foundation problem? [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1950 and I bought it 4 years ago. We have a partial basement of poured concrete and a partial crawl space. Lately, I have noticed the floors creaking where they weren't before. There are also cracks above 2 doors and 1 window. One of my doors starting sticking to the point...

House Foundation Issues [ 4 Answers ]

My house was donated to me by the Habitat for Humanity Non-profit Org. About 5 years ago. I am now having issues with the house foundation. Can I proceed with legal actions against Habitat for Humanity?

Define house foundation [ 1 Answers ]

Spalling or WHAT on my new house foundation? [ 4 Answers ]

Centex home less than 1 1/2 years old. Pock marks all over foundation. One is really bad at the top of the control joint. It has spread to about 2 inches.. with more about to come off.. and at one point I can stick my finger into a hole up to my knuckle right underneath the siding. Clearly...

House with obvious foundation settling [ 1 Answers ]

We are looking to buy a house that has obvious foundation settling. Exterior doors and some interior doors are 2 to 3 inches out of square. This house has an unfinished basement and I can't seem to find any serious cracks in the floor or walls. The house was built in 1961 and is in central...

View more questions Search