Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BalisaKoetje Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2014, 09:05 PM
    Causes of tongue numbness when running
    When running hard (road race or triathlon) the right side of my tongue often goes numb. It goes away shortly after I stop. Any ideas why?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 6, 2014, 01:47 AM
    Only a wild guess that you have nerves in your neck/jaw/face that get pinched when you run, perhaps from the way your neck is jolted or some way you clench your jaw muscles. I would ask this on a runner's blog site.
    Since it goes away and doesn't hurt, I doubt that a doctor is going to want to run a lot of EMGs, which are painful and may not even find the source, since you can't be tested when it's happening.
    Test yourself by running with a neck brace and keeping your mouth open, etc. Run in place in front of a mirror or someone with a movie camera to see what you are doing with your mouth when you run. Think of the way an arm goes numb if you sleep on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What causes numbness in the tongue? [ 1 Answers ]

The tip of my tongue is numb an my taste buds aren't right plus my lips r a little numb what causes this?

Tongue pierceing-is my tongue infected?and will the numbness go? [ 0 Answers ]

I got my tongue pierced on Saturday, people said it wouldn't hurt at all but I believe it is the worst pain ever, its been 3 days and I can't eat anything all I've had is ice water.The tip of my tongue is numb and underneath there is yellow skin attached to the ball. Also my tongue is still really...

Numbness in the tongue [ 2 Answers ]

I've been experiencing numbness in the left side of my tongue for several weeks, which is causing me to bite my tongue. I'm a very fit 47yr old male and suffered a brain tumor 10yrs ago. Any advice?

Tongue numbness [ 0 Answers ]

Its been 2 days now and my tongue is numb! I have no idea why, I never went to the dentist or anything. I only had a very bad cough, I even think I scratched my throat! But its not like I haven't had it before that it's the cause of my tongue numbness. What do you think is it from a cough or is it...

Numbness on tongue [ 2 Answers ]

I have been told I have a lot of noise in the wall of the hearth and then after testing said something about one of my valves are not opening right , was put on nitro pills, everything fine and now I am experience some numbness in my mouth on my tongue and lips and from the nose on both side is...

View more questions Search