Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccordy30 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2014, 08:42 AM
    What can I sue for?
    In December 2012 I was involved in a car accident. At the scene of the accident I was allegedly at fault. After taking it to court because I was found not guilty. The person that hit me claimed no insurance but was driving his company truck. I want to file a law suit. What can I do? What can I sue for? I was injured, I missed work, I took therapy and I still have back and neck pains every now and than. As for my car my insurance company paid for everything. Please help me. Thank You
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2014, 08:52 AM
    Just because you were found to not be at fault in court.. doesn't automatically mean they were.

There is a concept of shared fault.

What state did this occur? Rights and options will vary along with the laws depending on location.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 4, 2014, 09:25 AM
    Insurance is with the vehicle. Not the driver. So if this was a company owned vehicle, they should have had insurance and you should be filing a claim against their insurer. Do that first, then you can see about a lawsuit.

Jun 4, 2014, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Just because you were found to not be at fault in court.. doesn't automatically mean they were.

There is a concept of shared fault.

What state did this occur? Rights and options will vary along with the laws depending on location.
    This occurred in Miami Florida
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 4, 2014, 11:08 AM
    You are talking personal injury. Law firms specializing in personal injury typically take cases on a contingent fee. Find an attorney to take this case.

Your attorney will probably want to sue the other driver, as well as the company which owned the vehicle.

And if the company does have insurance, don't do anything (and particularly don't sign any release as a condition of an insurance settlement) until you have spoken to your attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 02:54 AM
    You can sue for all damages, ( you may want to check, that your insurance company may also be suing for damages to your vehicle. Depends on how they paid you,

But any money loss, plus possible pain and suffering, you would sue the owner of the truck ( that is where the insurance is) and the driver both.

Jun 5, 2014, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    You are talking personal injury. Law firms specializing in personal injury typically take cases on a contingent fee. Find an attorney to take this case.

Your attorney will probably want to sue the other driver, as well as the company which owned the vehicle.

And if the company does have insurance, don't do anything (and particularly don't sign any release as a condition of an insurance settlement) until you have spoken to your attorney.
    My insurance company was crappie. So honestly I think I will take it to
    Small claims court and represent myself. I called a few law firms and they seem to be interested only if the driver had insurance or if I had
    UM (uninsured motorist coverage in which I did not.

Jun 5, 2014, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ccordy30 View Post
    My insurance company was crappie. So honestly I think I will take it to
    Small claims court and represent myself. I called a few law firms and they seem to be interested only if the driver had insurance or if I had
    UM (uninsured motorist coverage in which I did not.
    You are missing a big point here. Your insurer covered your car, according to you in full. So they weren't that crappy. But they don't generally cover your injuries. That's what the insurer of the other vehicle covers assuming they had liability coverage. And it doesn't matter whether the driver had insurance, it matters whether the owner of the vehicle had insurance.

I still think you stand a chance of recovering and a lot quicker, if you file a claim against the company's insurer.

Jun 5, 2014, 04:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You are missing a big point here. Your insurer covered your car, according to you in full. So they weren't that crappy. But they don't generally cover your injuries. That's what the insurer of the other vehicle covers assuming they had liability coverage. And it doesn't matter whether the driver had insurance, it matters whether the owner of the vehicle had insurance.

I still think you stand a chance of recovering and a lot quicker, if you file a claim against the company's insurer.
    I no longer have that company BUT I will be calling them today. I spoke to the company at the time of the accident, and they told me being that the driver had no insurance records on file they can't go after him. That I would need to do it on my own.

Jun 5, 2014, 05:35 AM
    I no longer have that company BUT I will be calling them today. I spoke to the company at the time of the accident, and they told me being that the driver had no insurance records on file they can't go after him. That I would need to do it on my own.
    In other words they BSed you and you fell for it. Again, insurance covers the vehicle. So the company has have insurance for the vehicle. The driver does not have to have personal insurance. It is up to the company to decide whether to let the employee drive their vehicle. Once they do, they assume responsibility. Whether they can go after the driver or not is not your concern. Your concern is that you are covered for your expenses. You needed to submit a claim to their insurer. Hopefully its not too late. You may still have to sue, but if you can get their insurer to cover your expenses, you are likely to get the money sooner than in a lawsuit.

Jun 5, 2014, 05:38 AM
    In other words they BSed you and you fell for it. Again, insurance covers the vehicle. So the company has have insurance for the vehicle. The driver does not have to have personal insurance. It is up to the company to decide whether to let the employee drive their vehicle. Once they do, they assume responsibility. Whether they can go after the driver or not is not your concern. Your concern is that you are covered for your expenses. You needed to submit a claim to their insurer. Hopefully its not too late. You may still have to sue, but if you can get their insurer to cover your expenses, you are likely to get the money sooner than in a lawsuit.
    Another thing to yes it was a company vehicle but it was his own personal company vehicle. He owns a bounce house company.

Jun 5, 2014, 05:54 AM
    I'm not sure I understand that. It doesn't matter whether it was a company vehicle assigned to him for personal and business use, it was still owned by the company and the company had to carry insurance. If he owned the business, then you need to know the type of business (sole proprietership, corp, LLC, etc.).
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 06:24 AM
    If OP went to attorneys who were not interested, it is starting to appear that the employer company is uninsured and judgment-proof. OP could have a good case for "piercing the corporate veil", but the owners may be judgment-proof as well.

The driver, and possibly the employer, can be charged with operating a vehicle without insurance, but the only way that will help OP recover damages is if a restitution order is entered.

Jun 5, 2014, 06:24 AM
    I'm not sure I understand that. It doesn't matter whether it was a company vehicle assigned to him for personal and business use, it was still owned by the company and the company had to carry insurance. If he owned the business, then you need to know the type of business (sole proprietership, corp, LLC, etc.).
    I'm sorry but how do I find out that information.

Jun 5, 2014, 06:47 AM
    If OP went to attorneys who were not interested, it is starting to appear that the employer company is uninsured and judgment-proof. OP could have a good case for "piercing the corporate veil", but the owners may be judgment-proof as well.

The driver, and possibly the employer, can be charged with operating a vehicle without insurance, but the only way that will help OP recover damages is if a restitution order is entered.
    Okay. So tell me what do I need to do??
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 07:54 AM
    Okay. So tell me what do I need to do??
    If no lawyer is willing to take the case, chances are that either
    1. the driver was probably not at fault;
    2. all potential defendants are judgment-proof (meaning that none of them have a pot to tinkle in); or
    3. some combination of the above.

In that case, other than insisting that the authorities pursue them for lack of insurance) chalk it up to experience and move on.

Jun 5, 2014, 08:02 AM
    If no lawyer is willing to take the case, chances are that either
    1. the driver was probably not at fault;
    2. all potential defendants are judgment-proof (meaning that none of them have a pot to tinkle in); or
    3. some combination of the above.

In that case, other than insisting that the authorities pursue them for lack of insurance) chalk it up to experience and move on.
    Okay. I just spoke to the insurance company that insured me and they told me to send them the paperwork from the judge saying that I was ruled not guily/not at fault and they will re open the case and go after the driver for at least my deductible back and lost wages And encouraged me to file a law suit with an attorney or small claims court.
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 08:16 AM
    Okay. I just spoke to the insurance company that insured me and they told me to send them the paperwork from the judge saying that I was ruled not guily/not at fault and they will re open the case and go after the driver for at least my deductible back and lost wages And encouraged me to file a law suit with an attorney or small claims court.
    You should understand that while a judge determine that you had not been proven guilty of a traffic violation, that doesn't mean you were without fault. Also, it could be that in a civil court it could be determined that the other driver was not at fault either.

How much (in dollars) do you figure you are damaged? It could be that the lawyers aren't interested in taking the case because the amount is not worth their trouble.

If the insurance company is going to actually sue, the suit should include your action. There can't be two different lawsuits for the same accident.

Jun 5, 2014, 08:33 AM
    If your insurer is looking to reopen the case, ask them to find out the insurer of the other car. They can get those records.

If the reason you are not getting attorneys to take your case is due to them being judgment proof, then even if you win, you will have a hard time collecting.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jun 12, 2014, 09:03 AM
    I know it's a few days late - but I was reading it as the uninsured driver actually being the company owner, maybe that is why the op is trying to sue him personally.

Another thing to yes it was a company vehicle but it was his own personal company vehicle. He owns a bounce house company...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can they sue [ 9 Answers ]

Can a person take me to small claims court even after I have agreed to pay a loan back. Its been two months since the loan and they are telling me they are taking me to small claims court for $225 that I have agreed to pay in two installments one this Friday and the other next Friday, they said...

Can I sue? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, so this morning my mom called the bank and they gave her the information about how much money was in my account and everything. I have a savings account, and I've had it since I was a kid, so is her name still on it? I don't think it would be, considering that I am eighteen. I am just...

Can I sue [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting to sue {Name removed} a guy come to my house giving me da patter to join the company he said it would be a 30 day trail then I would get a form in the post asking if I would like to keep it going which I didn't because the company and dvds are crap so next think I no they took money...

Can I sue for this? [ 6 Answers ]

I got into an altercation with a young lady, and she took it upon herself to go on Facebook and post a public statement saying "If you want to hook up with a whore for one night to call (000) 000-0000 (she had my actual number) and then posted my full name. I feel this is tearing down my reputation...

Can I sue? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been married nearly 15 years and have 2 kids. I want to know if I can sue the woman my husband is having an affair with. We have been separated for 3 months and he moved out 2 weeks ago while I was on holiday. We live in Ireland. I will appreciate your earliest reply. Thank you

View more questions Search