Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dl1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2014, 04:23 PM
    What are my rights and do I need an attorney?
    I was recently assaulted and the person who assaulted me was arrested for second degree assault. The case however got dismissed at the Probable Cause Hearing due to her and her witnesses lying in court. I have incurred approximately $2700 in medical bills due to my injury of which most have not been paid yet. Once I found out the case was dismissed I went and filed a small claim against the defendant in order to try and get my medical bills paid.
    Now this defendant had her criminal attorney file an appearance and now I am being counter-sued. (Defamation, false accusations, legal fees, witness payments, loss of wages due to her having to go to court, and pain and suffering. I find this outrageous but now her attorney has sent me a set of interrogatories with very invasive questions some of which are wanting information on my witnesses to the assault. They don't feel comfortable me providing this information to this defendants lawyer. Do I legally have to fill these out? If I have to legally, can I refuse to answer questions on what I don't feel are applicable to this case. It is not a trial but a mediation/counterclaim hearing. Do I need to now pay money for an attorney to represent me?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 3, 2014, 06:00 PM
    Do I need to now pay money for an attorney to represent me?
    You don't have to, but it would be a good advice to at least consult with one.

In general, you can't refuse to answer discovery merely because your witnesses "don't feel comfortable". The identity of witnesses is almost always discoverable. One thing an attorney in your jurisdiction could tell you is how much of this discovery you can object to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need an attorney if child's father agrees to sign his rights over to me? [ 3 Answers ]

We have bn separated for almost 2yrs she was 4 1/2 months old and hasn't seen him since. Doesn't pay child support for her nor the court ordered support for the other three from previous relationship. He has never called and checked on her only sent birthday cards that came late... do I need...

Ask a Missouri attorney about renters rights [ 6 Answers ]

I have rented for 2 years. In March of 2012 my Landlord filed bankruptcy and included the home in which I live. My lease expired April 30 and I am still leaving in the home rent free with the blessing of my landlord who says "stay as long as you can". My landlord received notice that the home in...

Relinquishing parental rights w/o attorney [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend wants to give up her rights to our two children. Can we do that without a lawyer? In Iowa? I have married and can provide a stable home for them. They are with me 95% of the time now.

Fathers rights/Power of Attorney [ 33 Answers ]

OK I am not sure if I am looking for some legal advice or just advice on how to handle the situation. But here it goes. I will try and keep this short but to the point and we can go from there. My dad meets his girlfriend in 1992. She is I believe 16-18 years younger then he is. At that time no...

Financial rights with Power of Attorney [ 7 Answers ]

My brother and myself now have joint Power of Attorney for my 90 year old mother's affairs. In her will she is leaving her money to five of us kids. One brother is not included in that because he manipulated my mother into giving him the family home when he had Power of Attorney for our mother....

View more questions Search