Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ExpectoGadget Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2014, 12:43 PM
    I poked at white tissue in my tooth extraction site
    Last Friday I had a wisdom tooth extracted with no problems, no swelling and no pain afterwards. But this Monday after dinner I noticed something in the extraction area and figured it was just food that'd got stuck there so I tried washing it out with water and then I picked at it with a wooden toothpick I'd put it boiled water. Then I figured it was not food so I left it alone but I'm afraid I may have disrupted the healing process.
    Do I need to see my dentist about this?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 2, 2014, 01:00 PM
    If no pain, no swelling, no fever, then just proceed with lots of rinsing and very gentle brushing of the gum to stimulate new gum growth and to slough off dead tissue. (And don't do any more poking.)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 2, 2014, 02:47 PM
    It is a popular misconception to see 'something' in an extraction site. Our bodies are wonderful at keeping us from harm, we only harm ourselves.

From someone who used to deal with hygiene and instructions at an oral surgeon's office, rinsing yes, no brushing around the extraction site, the rinsing does it all. New gum growth will take care of itself in a healthy mouth.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 3, 2014, 03:14 AM
    My oral surgeon does want gentle stimulation of the gums by brushing them, after 2 or 3 days. I think it might be part of new theories about this subject. Regular tooth care by brushing and flossing does include stimulation of the gums.

I copied from one dental site:
    It is important to resume your normal dental routine after 24 hours. This should include brushing and flossing your teeth at least once a day. This will speed healing and help keep your mouth fresh and clean. You may feel the sharp edge of the socket with your tongue and sometimes, little bits of bone may make their way to the surface and work their way out. This is perfectly normal and harmless.

(Many surgeons say 72 hours instead of 24.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White stuff in Extraction site? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, Today I got two of my teeth extracted. One on the top, and one on the bottom. Both on the same side, and both pre-molars. Had a bit of pain ten minutes after the extraction, but Advil did the job. I've been following all the instructions my dentist gave me, and I've been feeling all...

White gooey stuff on tooth extraction site [ 1 Answers ]

I got a molar extracted last Friday and although it doesn't really hurt, there is some white gooey stuff on the blood clot and it smells horrible. I'm not sure what it is. Should I remove it, or would I be dislodging the blood clot? The smell is really bothersome.

I poked my tooth extraction site. Did I pull out the blood clot? [ 5 Answers ]

I had both my lower wisdom teeth pulled a week ago. I had very minimal swelling and was back to normal by the next day. I took all the precautions within the first 48 hours following the extraction. I went for my follow up visit this morning and everything looked great. This evening after dinner,...

White tongue after tooth extraction [ 3 Answers ]

I seem to have developed this, I have been trying to brush it and use mouthwashes etc, what can I do? Please help. :(

White Tissue In Extraction Site- Seems Loose [ 6 Answers ]

I had my lower back molar extracted on Monday at noon. There was a white mucusy looking lump that formed in the socket, that now feels loose- I've been at work all day today (and therefore talking a lot) and I'm worried that I might have done something bad that loosened it--- From what I've read,...

View more questions Search