Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjriz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2014, 05:33 PM
    Attic ventilation
    Hi-Ranch 2 levels 1200 sf
    Use of whole house fan will be stopped.
    No central air now or planned.
    I would like to try a 1000 cfm roof mounted thermostatically controlled fan to cool the 120 + degree attic and hopefully cool the rest of the house. It will have to go on rear of house, the same side as the through the roof vents.
    2 existing gable vents. About 18" x 24" each.
    No soffit or ridge vent existing or practical to install now.

Questions:
    1. Will I be cooling the entire attic or will I be simply circulating a small pocket of air coming in through the nearby roof vents? I have someone that can install the proposed fan. I have no one to close up the roof vents.
    2. What is a better method of cooling the house in general? The old whole whose or the proposed attic fan?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 2, 2014, 01:57 PM
    A whole house fan if done properly is a great option. The reason it is so great is that you can set the path of circulation through your home. The only real drawback is that when it is in use you will have to have something open to outside air. A window or door etc to feed the vacum you will create with a whole house fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Powered ventilator in attic with soffit / ridge ventilation system [ 3 Answers ]

I have heard that it is not advised to install a powered ventilator fan on your roof to reduce heat trapped in the attic, if you have a ridge vent / soffit vent ventilation system. Any inputs?

Attic ventilation [ 12 Answers ]

When you go into your attic during the day, should you see light or should it be completely dark? Also how much light should you see out of your roof vents? How many roof vents should you have for a 1575 square foot home? Thanks Leah

Attic ventilation [ 1 Answers ]

How difficult is it install a termostat controlled attc gable fan?

Thermostat on an Attic Ventilation Fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a thermostat to my attic ventilation fan. There is an on/off switch already there. When I have everything wired as the thermostat says to the fan runs all the time and within a few minutes trips the circuit. When I bypass the thermostat and just use the switch the fan runs...

Attic Ventilation when NOT have a furnace [ 14 Answers ]

My parents have baseboard heat in their single wide 1972 mobile home. They don't use the furnace (and may have taken it out I am trying to determine what they did) because my mom is very allergic to the normal propane smells/emissions/fumes that are emitted from a correctly working furnace system....

View more questions Search