Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

May 31, 2014, 10:10 PM
    Tick found on dog's back
    Hello, the in-laws found a tick on their retriever's back. We put some vegetable oil on the skin around the bite and on the tick itself, waited for a while and then easily got the tick off the skin. It is very alive, saved it just in case. Please see the photo. I was wondering about what should be done following a tick bite. Vaccination of the dog? Run tests on the tick?

What tick is this one?

Thanks in advance. Don't know anything about dogs. Best wishes, h.
    Attached Images

J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 31, 2014, 10:52 PM
    Diseases are location specific. It depends on where you live as to what disease your dog might inherit from the tic. Typically, nothing is done until symptoms present.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 1, 2014, 03:01 AM
    Looks like a common American Dog Tick. Engorged females like that do look very similar, so don't take that as gospel. If it is, they don't usually bite humans. If the dog is on a heartworm preventative, there shouldn't be any other measures needed.

Jun 1, 2014, 07:28 AM
    Appreciate the replies. I will relay the info to the owners. They live in Northern CA, not sure how common infected ticks are there. Sounds like the dog should be watched for symptoms. Are there good online references regarding the tick-borne diseases in dogs? Thanks again.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 1, 2014, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by harum View Post
    Appreciate the replies. I will relay the info to the owners. They live in Northern CA, not sure how common infected ticks are there. Sounds like the dog should be watched for symptoms. Are there good online references regarding the tick-borne diseases in dogs? Thanks again.
    Look up some of the CDC pages about them. There's a lot of good information there, but there's also some hysteria. Another good reference with a more local perspective is from Oregon State. Here's a link: Tick behavior information available from OSU | Extension and Agricultural Research News

Jun 1, 2014, 08:11 AM
    Thanks. Is there a way to get an idea of how long the tick had been on the dog from the picture? Maybe size, shape, or color could be an indication?
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 1, 2014, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by harum View Post
    Thanks. Is there a way to get an idea of how long the tick had been on the dog from the picture? Maybe size, shape, or color could be an indication?
    Not really. They can get that engorged in a couple of hours or it may take a couple of days.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2014, 01:53 PM
    Purchase frontline and put it on your dog. Best tick control!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Found a dog - should I keep her? [ 11 Answers ]

I found a half starved chi-terrier mix. Vet says she's healthy with no chip (she just need anal gland squeezed - I noticed she was scooting). Called Humane Society, posted flyers, put ad on Craigslist - nothing. I will not risk sending her to shelter and having her put down. She's very sweet and...

Can a tick collar make my dog lazy? [ 5 Answers ]

My dog has become lazy since we put a tick collar on him. He had ticks and has had a tick bath, through out his bedding and sprayed the house.

Which box to tick on 1040NR for status (would tick 3 but spouse does't have an id) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm filling in a 1040NR and am married and a resident of Canada but the instructions for boxes 3 and 4 say: "You cannot check the box on line 3 or line 4 if your spouse does not have an SSN or an ITIN. If your spouse is not eligible to apply for an SSN, he or she must apply for an ITIN." ...

What is the name of the tick that is brown with a yellow dot on its back [ 1 Answers ]

What type of tick is brown with a yellow dot on its back ?

Removed tick from dog [ 1 Answers ]

I just removed a tick from behind my dogs ear and I want to know is there something I have at home I can put on the area that I removed the tick from to make sure I got it all and there is no infection.

View more questions Search