Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tishagram Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2014, 08:08 PM
    Help my dog is whimpering and gets all agitated when trying to eat (no visible pain)
    My little 2 year old Maltesex shihtzu highlanderterrier cross has been displaying some odd eating habits the last month and a half. Bandit, has been noticeably eating less and less and it is concerning seeing as though he is usually a guts. What is most strange is when he does try and eat, he whimpers and looks unsettled and moves around his food as if he can't get it or he's just out of reach. When it is easily accessible and he even pushes the food around with his nose. I thought the shiny bowl may have had something to do with it and that my dog was getting upset over its reflection but a change in bowl to a flat matte plate has had no effect and then a change of eating areas but he still acts the same. I have even changed the foods a dozen times to see if that is the problem with no change in the behaviour. I have also noticed when he gets food that I know be likes and give it to him by hand , he sometimes does but sometimes he won't eat it there and then like normal, he drops it out of his mouth on to the floor or my bed and uses his nose to push the covers or rub the carpet in towards the food as if he's burying it with his nose. I noticed a week or so ago that he also does this nose thing outside in the dirt or sand too. He doesn't have any other signs or symptoms and his food has no other interference, I'm getting very worried about him as he doesn't seem to be eating hardly any of the food that I give out to him, he has both dry food and wet food available. Has any one seen this behaviour before? What should I do or should he get to the vet?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 31, 2014, 08:50 PM
    He needs to see a vet.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 31, 2014, 08:59 PM
    The vet should have been your first stop.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 31, 2014, 09:10 PM
    A vet is needed. Could be issues with his teeth, could be other issues. We can't even begin to guess online.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sick Dog.. very skinny, vomiting, and whimpering suddenly.. Help!! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old chihuahua who has been throwing up his food for the past few days. He is eating normal, no changes in food and has not lost his appitite but does eventually throw it back up. He has gotten very skinny to the point where I can feel his bones... He also cries suddenly as if...

Consistent pain in vagina from sex, no visible explanation [ 2 Answers ]

My girl friend has been complaining about pain during sex for some time (I entered her age and gentler into the form, but my email). At first we thought it was the pill she was on, but after changing the issue remained. It was sensitivity somewhere on the vagina specifically. The gynaecologist...

My dog will not eat his food unless I add a hard cooked egg to eat is that Ok [ 7 Answers ]

My dog will not eat his dog food (Beneiful healthy weight) He is approx 18 lbs I have tried everything Now I finally got a flat plate put his dog food and other little flavors added olive oil a touch he nibbles but when I add a hard cooked egg he eat it all. Is it healthy for a dog to have a...

Usb not visible on my computer but visible in device manager [ 2 Answers ]

Since 2 weeks I'm unable to view my usb derive on my computer but it isvisible in device manager tell me what can I do to access my usb derive: Mad:

Agitated Cat [ 10 Answers ]

Our cat Moofie is a female approximately 8 years old - she has always been very loving however just recently she has been acting in a very agitated manner - she bit my husband twice - very badly (he required mediation) while holding her and it seems she is very frightened at the strangest things -...

View more questions Search