Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bsauceda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2014, 08:01 PM
    How to wire 3 switches that will operate 3 separate rows of lights starting from pane
    I'm building a shop but are unsure of wiring
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 30, 2014, 03:12 AM
    So what are you asking?
    Bsauceda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2014, 03:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    So what are you asking?
    I know how to bring power from the panel but I'm not sure if I wire nut all whites together and piggy tail blacks from each switch to the wire coming from my first light in each row.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 30, 2014, 05:16 AM
    How many light total? How much load? If you will be running a lot of load on a circuit, might be smarter to use 3 breakers and then 3 separate switches. If only a couple of lights, power into 1 switch, pigtail a jumper to the others and run blacks out. Whites are not switched.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2014, 05:20 AM
    Where is the power coming from, are you using conduit or cable? Switch legs must now hae a neutral in the box, so you won't be using the white for any part of the switch leg. If all the power is coming from the switch location that will not be an issue. Can you post picture (drawing) showing your switch location, your lights and where the power is coming from? If all ights are being powered from the switch location, all the switches will be wired together at that location by jumpering from one to the next. Each switch will then have a wire going to the fixture from the switch plus a neutral. All your neutrals can be tied together. If you have multiple lights, pigtailing at each light is the best way to wire. Parellel wiring is straight forward if you use pigtails at each fixture location. Does that answer your question?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 30, 2014, 05:33 AM
    It is just not as simple as you may think to plan the service size needed for a shop. You need to give us significant more information.

For example, is this shop in a separate building or part of your main residence?

How are you getting power from your main service panel to the shop?

Have you had or done a "Calculated Load" to determine if your main service can support the additional load of the shop?

How did you determine the load needed by the shop? Did you account for lighting? Have you calculated the load, overload and branch circuit protection for motors used within the shop?

Is this a woodshop? And if so did you include the load to keep the shop properly ventilated and clean?

If this is a wood shop, then you must use different receptacle protection (dustproof) to prevent explosion and fire.

Also, if this shop is a stand alone building, you must set up a proper grounding system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 Lights, 2 separate switches each operating 2 lights, 1 circuit [ 1 Answers ]

This is the situation we have in our detached garage. We are attempting to run 4 lights on one circuit with 2 separate control switches. (Not 3-way). All wire is 14/2. Power from panel comes in to light #1. Light #2 is fed from light #1. These two lights will be controlled by switch #1. Cable...

Need to separate 3 lights from one switch to two switches [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have one switch that controls 3 lights (2 exterior and 1 interior). I would like to have the exterior lights on one switch and the interior lights on a separate switch. Inside the switch box, there are 3 electrical lines - 2 with white & black, 1 with red, white and black. All...

I want to wire (all 14 gauge) 2 separate dimmer switches and lights to 1 power source [ 1 Answers ]

Details: In one dimmer switch box I have one 14 gauge wire . And I have a second 14 gauge wire in that same switch box that runs over to another dimmer (which operates a separate light). I'm trying to give power to both dimmer switches from the white power wire coming in, while having both separate...

Wiring bath fan with light/fan combo. Want to operate them on separate switches. [ 1 Answers ]

I have power wire with a black/white/ ground. The switches have their own wires with Black/ White wires. The fan unit has two plugs one for the fan with a blue wire and a white wire, and the light has a black wire and a white wire.

How to wire 3 separate lights to 3 separate switches in series circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am running wire from the circuit panel to the ceiling in the kitchen, then to a switch, back to the kitchen ceiling light. I am using the same circuit to the same thing for the dining room light with a switch, and a light on my deck also with its own switch. The switch in the dining room and the...

View more questions Search