Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nccogan Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Too many wires! Ceiling fan
    So this question is in line with the other other ceiling fan wiring questions. I am trying to install a ceiling fan. The light box has four cables (each with a black, white and bare wire). It seems that one cable is always hot, one cable goes to the adjacent bathroom, one cable seems to connect to some wall plugs and the other I anyone's guess. I was told that I should bundle all the blacks, whites and grounds together and connect it as if these were one black, white and ground. When I do this, eveything is fine unless I turn the wall switch off. This trips the breaker.

I would be eternally grateful for any hints, comments or advice.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Ok, one of the cables is from the wall switch. This does NOT get bundled together with everythhing else. What are you trying to control with the wall switch?

Apr 5, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Thanks for the response. The plan was to have the light switch control the power to the ceiling fan (nothing fancy). Is is likely to be the cable that does not seem to do anything?

Thanks again for the help.

N.
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Ok. Connect all the blacks together EXCEPT the black from the fan. Connect all the whites together EXCEPT the white from the switch. Mark the white from the switch with black tape, and connect it to the black (and blue, if you're using a light) of the fan. Tell me does this work.

Apr 7, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Ceilingfanrepair- I finally had time to try your suggestion and it worked easily. If you have time to give me a bit of a description of a.) what the wiring is doing right now, b.) How you knew what was wrong and c.) is this standard or non-standard.

In any case, thanks for saving me an electrician's visit.

N.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Sure.

Let's pretend for a minute the switch and it's two wires don't exist. All of the black wires are hot, that is they have electricity on them all the time. You don't want the fan to be on all the time you want it switched. So you have to tap into the "always hot" wires, send the current through the switch and back to the fan. So the fan get's it's hot lead from the switch, not from everything else. Everything shares the same neutral.

It is standard. When flipping a switch trips a breaker, that means that switch is connected directly across hot and neutral, causing it to short. So I figured two of the wires had to be from the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Ground wires? [ 2 Answers ]

So I took my Aloha breeze ceiling fan apart again. Now I connected all the wires like the instructions say. I connected the black ceiling to the red remote, white ceiling to the white remote, the blue remote to the blue fan, black remote to black fan, white remote to white fan, and both green wires...

Ceiling fan wires? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with wires blue, black and white, but I have no idea where to connect them with the ceiling supply box. Or in other words do I connect the black into red and blue into blue and I have no idea where white goes plzzz help. Thanks

Ceiling fan wires [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I installed a fan a few yrs ago. It wabbled so we tried to fix that and ended up messing up the light. Today we decided to fix the light. After taking the light kit off it was noticed that only white was coming from the fan to the light kit and black/blue was gone (somewhere in the...

3 wires on ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

I picked up a Hampton Bay ceiling fan second hand (minus installation instructions). I went to install it and found that it has three wires: one white, one black, and one blue. There was no ground wire. Is it safe to assume that the blue wire is the ground wire or is it something else? Any thoughts...

Ceiling Fan Wiring - Too Many Wires? [ 3 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. I am putting up a ceiling fan on my outside patio. It can be controlled by two different switches from my house. One in the bedroom and one in the dining room. That's why I think I have extra wires. Here is what I have: From ceiling: 2 black 2 white 1 green 1...

View more questions Search