Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorissarivers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Can my husband adopt my daughter since the biological father is deceased?
    My daughter is 9 years old and her biological father just died July 30th. My husband has been in her life for 7 years and I would like him to officially adopt her now. Also, I get social security for her every month so will that stop if my husband adopts?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Not sure about the SS, check your local office. But yes, your husband can adopt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 07:21 PM
    I do believe if your husband adopts the SS will stop ( but check with the SS office to be sure) But your husband should be able to adopt now.
    shirleyb46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Hi I am going through the same thing now, I am getting ready to do a stepparent adoption with my step daughter and her mom passed away, you will still get social security if you adopted your step daughter I talked with social security and they said she will still get social security.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Oct 4, 2007, 05:32 AM
    From the SSA website
    The adoption of a child already entitled to survivor's benefits does not terminate the child's benefits. source
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 02:43 AM
    With a death certificate and proof of paternity (i.e. the now-deceased father's name on your daughter's birth certificate), it should be no problem for your husband to adopt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband wants to adopt my daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the easies way for my husband to adopt my daughter? Her dad has nothing to do with her, he will sign over his rights cause he already said he would. So what is the cheapest and easiest way to do this. Thank you.

Husband wants to adopt daughter but. [ 2 Answers ]

All right here goes... My husband of 4 years is wanting to adopt my 8 year old daughter. She herself has been asking when she can have her "daddy's" last name. Her Biological father is listed on her birth certificate though we were never married. We did get a court ordered Child support...

Ex-husband!Can he adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I had my daughter in 1997 and became involved with my high school sweatheart again after having her which we started talking again when she was a couple months old. We then moved in together and got married in 2000 we got divorced in 2001 he is still a part of my daughters life and she believes he...

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father is not around? [ 13 Answers ]

I live with my husband and I have my daughter,which is not his biologically,but I also have a son that is his,so I was wondering if it is that he could adopt her without the father's consent,keeping in mind that her father is nowhere to be found.

View more questions Search