Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mouse Hunter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2014, 03:23 PM
    Mouse troubles
    On April 1 a critter was found rustling inside a bag of trash in the garage, jumped out and hid somewhere. On April for a nest was discovered in the engine compartment of our truck which is driven every day of the week. The truck is not housed in the garage, but outside in the driveway. The nest consisted of leaves, grass, and the insulation from the underside of the truck hood. We cleared the nest out. No activity was noted for nearly two weeks, then evidence of mice having chewed into trash bags was noted in the garage area. No dropping were observed.

On May 2, a mouse was observed in the finished basement, in the furthest area from the garage. Traps set caught one offender in the basement and two offenders in the garage. New spin type traps were set but have never been tripped. May 15 another mouse was observed in the same basement area. No droppings or tell-tale signs have been found. Three spring traps were set and one mouse caught. A replacement trap was set out and another mouse caught the following day.

Then yesterday, after inspecting outside and finding no visible entry points, an inside inspection only found dropping and destruction in a closet/pantry under the basement steps. A mouse nightclub! We also learned that mice were spotted outside the house on May 4 by a person running the string trimmer along a flower bed on the south side. Two mice were caught - one at a time, in two traps put out within a span of 6 hours overnight.

We feel like we are caught in the movie Mouse Hunt! We are going to continue setting traps while looking for entry points. To prevent them from moving elsewhere in the house, we are considering waiting a few weeks to clear out the mess under the steps until we are not catching any more mice.

Has anyone experience something this bizarre? Any suggestions for where the entry point could be. We considered the chimney. It is in the center of the house and runs down to the basement near the base of the stairs. Not an April fool joke for sure!

Thank you.

T
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 23, 2014, 03:49 PM
    This sounds like a normal progression of an infestation. If you are prepared to spend a couple of hours every morning and every evening, continuing to use mechanical traps will eventually reduce the population but not eliminate it. Snap traps need to be placed along walls and runways with the trigger facing the wall. Mice prefer to remain close to things taller than they are to keep Owls and other predators from swooping down on them.

If you plan on escalating to poisons, use the block forms that provide the mice something to gnaw on. The blocks are more attractive than pellets.

As to cleaning the closet nest, waiting until the population has been reduced has plusses and minuses. The plus side, as you have surmised, is that the won't be setting up more nests. The minus is that they will continue breeding there.

When you do clean it, make sure to disinfect as mouse droppings have been known to carry disease bacteria and viruses.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 23, 2014, 03:53 PM
    I live behind a field, and constantly have issues with mice, as well as all my neighbors.

From what I've learned, it's usually feces, or a dead mouse, that alarms you to the problem. If you're seeing mice, you have a major problem. For every one you see, there are likely dozens more.

Keep setting the traps. Cover your sinks so they can't get water. Make sure all garbage is taken out every single day, and no food is left out in the open. Destroy the nest you found, and set traps there.

We have been using peppermint, which we heard is a deterrent for mice. So far it's working very well, and makes the house smell very nice as well. Any cracks, or holes you find, fill them.

I have numerous humane traps set. I love these traps because they can catch 9 or more mice at a time. It seems that when one is caught, more come. Use peanut butter as a lure, not cheese. Cheese doesn't work at all. Put the trap in an area where you've seen feces, as close to the wall as possible. Mice run along the wall, not out in the open.

Sadly I'm not mouse free, even after doing all the things I just suggested to you. But it is helping the situation considerably.

A cat is also a great tool. My husband is very allergic, otherwise I'd have gone that route already. Not all cats are mousers. Most shelters have a program for cats that are more feral than pets. They usually make great mousers, and you'd be saving a life to boot. Something to consider.

Good luck. :)
    Pest Control Expert

May 23, 2014, 05:09 PM
    Alty just provided an example of the constant and continuing battle trapping becomes. I do have to offer one correction. Mice get their water from food, not drinking. People find mice in sinks and toilets after using poisons, as one of the side effects of the poison is thirst.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 23, 2014, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Alty just provided an example of the constant and continuing battle trapping becomes. I do have to offer one correction. Mice get their water from food, not drinking. People find mice in sinks and toilets after using poisons, as one of the side effects of the poison is thirst.
    Cats, I don't use poison because I have dogs, and Rascal, my border collie, actually hunts and kills mice. I worry that he'll be poisoned, so I never use poison.

I find dead mice in my toilet, I find mice in my bathtub, and in my sink. They eat dog food, which I can't store away, because my dogs need to eat. I've even found dead mice in the water dish for the dogs. I don't use poison. So why are they drawn to the water?
    Pest Control Expert

May 23, 2014, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Cats, I don't use poison because I have dogs, and Rascal, my border collie, actually hunts and kills mice. I worry that he'll be poisoned, so I never use poison.

I find dead mice in my toilet, I find mice in my bathtub, and in my sink. They eat dog food, which I can't store away, because my dogs need to eat. I've even found dead mice in the water dish for the dogs. I don't use poison. So why are they drawn to the water?
    Secondary toxicity is a consideration with most rodent poisons. Some formulae have more than others, but all of them have some.

As to thirst, my first hypothesis would be that the dog food has less natural moisture than the seeds and grasses they eat in the wild.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm looking for a movie that has a mouse in who I think is a spy(not danger mouse). [ 4 Answers ]

The only scene I remember is a plane crashing and a fat mouse surviving by being locked in the bathroom on the toilet. Also, the mouse may have driven a red car, but I'm not sure.

Installing mouse w/o a mouse [ 1 Answers ]

My mouse went out on an old computer and I have tried installing new software using only keystrokes to no avail. Everything I try comes back to the same problem -- not having a mouse. I can't uninstall the old software w/o a mouse. I'm lost. Suggestions appreciated. Ed

ME-Mouse [ 1 Answers ]

I am runnig Me on my PC .but the Mouse does not work... Help.. What can I do

View more questions Search