Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2014, 02:33 PM
    Kitchen Tiles Question
    Three years ago I had a flood in my apt. Only a couple of my ceramic kitchen tiles became loose. One year later... The contractor I hired to lift them and replace them ended up lifting over 20 kitchen tiles (Octagon shap) and taking them home to remove all the cement and thereafter replacing all of them. They seemed to be OK, except now I notice a couple of them are actually RAISED slightly on the edges and this makes the floor not completely level in that spot. What would cause the tiles to raise like this very slightly on the edges? As I see it, the solution is to have the entire kitchen floor re-done with 18 X 18 or larger ceramic tiles WITHOUT GROUT and close together. I have matching baseboard under the cabinets as well as wallpaper in kitchen. Any suggestions?
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

May 22, 2014, 10:00 PM
    You ask a big question, but give little details. Did the tile always stick up after they were replaced or did they change sometime afterwards? What type of material was the tile placed on? Was the floor beneath the tile soaked? Big tiles mean fewer grout lines, but if something raises in the middle of a big tile it will probably split depending on the amount of movement and the grout type. Did they use modified thinset or non modified thinset? Still a lot more questions could be asked.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 23, 2014, 05:22 AM
    Ungrouted ceramic tile are asking for future problems... and it looks bad and unfinished.

Significant ammounts of water would get in and lay in those spaces for a considerably length of time every time the floor was washed. One of the reasons it MUST be grouted.

A properly installed and grouted ceramic tile installation could last a very long time, far longer than your appartment will be standing....(Roman ruins have been discovered with intact mosaic tiles).

Your bigger issue is why did it flood and how to keep it from happening again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If you have 3 white tiles, 3 gray tiles, and 3 striped tiles what is the probability [ 3 Answers ]

if you have 3 white tiles, 3 gray tiles, and 3 striped tiles what is the probability of picking a gray tile and then picking a white tile?

Why do my ceramic tiles in the kitchen feel warm? [ 4 Answers ]

I've never noticed it before (because I always wear shoes or slippers), but the ceramic tiles next to the half bath felt warm when I walked on them with only socks on. Could this indicate a problem under the tiles? The tiles are also next to the garage door and my washing machine is in the garage...

How to clean old kitchen floor tiles? [ 0 Answers ]

hi.. I have a house built in the 60's with old black and white vinyl (?) tiles (1'x1') and I just can't get them clean... I have tried bleach, ammonia, pinesol, a scrubbing brush... occasionally I can lift a tiny bit of the surface dirt to see the tiles can be cleaned.. but have yet to be able to...

Painting over vinyl kitchen tiles [ 1 Answers ]

I have 25 year old vinyl kitchen tiles and want to paint over them except they have separated and it's like a grout line with no grout... just dirt. Is there anything I can fill these spaces with so I can prime and paint over the tile? If not then I guess I'll rip it out and clean and paint the...

Kitchen tiles are hot to the touch [ 5 Answers ]

I think I may have a water leak underneath my foundation. The tile feels warm. Are there any new methods out there for detection and repair without tearing up the slab?

View more questions Search