Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vivian-1010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2014, 09:35 PM
    What is the satutate of limitation on a personal loan in the state of Georgia
    My husband and I obtain a personal loan in 1995 he went to prison for dui I filed a chapter 7 on all of the debt now he is being sued on the unpaid debt it was for a patio enclosure of which we used my house as equity of which his name is not on the property it has been almost 18yrs the original loan was sold during the chapter7 process can he legally be sued for this debt or is this covered under the statute of limitation or time-barred act of Georgia.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2014, 11:12 PM
    If property was used as equity, it does not sound like a personal loan, but a mortgage of some type and the SOL would not apply.

They can not come after you, but they indeed can sue him, if this is the case.
    Personal loans are not backed with equity in real estate. You may put down personal property as equity, such as cameras, firearms, lawn equipment.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 21, 2014, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If property was used as equity, it does not sound like a personal loan, but a mortgage of some type and the SOL would not apply.

They can not come after you, but they indeed can sue him, if this is the case.
    Personal loans are not backed with equity in real estate. You may put down personal property as equity, such as cameras, firearms, lawn equipment.
    Incorrect. OP indicates that she filed Chapter 7, but her husband is being sued. The husband didn't file bankruptcy.

Whether a mortgage or other lien on the property applies, the husband can assert the SOL (which in all likelihood is shorter than 18 years).

Note that if she applied for the loan and gave security after filing bankruptcy, they may be able to sue her and foreclose their lien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Georgia statute of limitation on criminal background? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the stature of limitation on a background check in the state of Georgia. I pleaded no contendo to assault and battery with a deadly weapon and received 18 months probation withheld of adjudication 14 years ago.

Georgia statue of limitation [ 1 Answers ]

How many years

Statute of limitations on a personal loan in Georgia? [ 0 Answers ]

I loaned $11,000.00 to a friend and I have a promisary note. It has been two years since the note was signed. Is it too late for me to file against him for the money owed! Can I take it to small claims court? Any help would be appreciated! Frustrated in Georgia!

Personal loan with a promissary note- statute of limitation [ 1 Answers ]

I loaned a supposed friend $2400 three years ago. The first year he gave me $600 and march of 2007 he gave me $300. There is a balance of $1500 of which He has yet to pay back. I am tired of waiting on a train that may never come. I'm ready to begin legal actions if the statute of limitation...

View more questions Search