Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Drifter106 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2014, 04:31 PM
    Load on concrete roof
    I am planning to build an outdoor stone oven. It will be sited on a poured concrete roof about 6 inches thick (that is reinforced). Will the weight of the oven which I estimate at about 300kg be too much for the roof? The oven weight will be supported on two 40 x 6 inch slabs. ( i.e 240 square inch on each side). Thanks
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

May 23, 2014, 01:29 PM
    May need to give more details to get a reply.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2014, 02:07 PM
    What is the span of the roof slab between its supports? Where is the reinforcement placed in the existing slab and is it rebars, mesh? If rebars, near bottom of slab, middle, top?
    Size of bars? What is the condition of the existing concrete- cracking etc?
    The additional pads/slabs you mention are to adjust the height of the oven? The pads will increase the lbs/.sq. in=-psi (kg/sq. cm?), so sitting flat on the roof would be better but maybe not practical. Any method to spread the load to a larger area (treated 4x6's maybe) would reduce the psi. 4x6's would weigh approx 1/4th the weight of an equal volume of concrete.
    It would only be a guess on anyone's part from the information given, as to ability to withstand the additional load.
    carahylton Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2014, 02:51 AM
    Ask the roof inspection engineer about this. I think 300kg would be bit heavy. Keep it around 220-260 kg, so that roof can take that much load easily.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete roof slab is getting black mould!! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a garage with a concrete roof which is also my patio . It is tiled and has a sandbed below the tiles I think 30 to 40 mm thick . Every time it rains my driveway is wet up to a week after the rain water seeps out from the front edge of the slab and in the corner black mould keeps...

Load bearing concrete floor beam support [ 5 Answers ]

I had the misfortune of hiring an incompetent architect (and builder). One of the primary load bearing floor beams (20x45cm with 10 pcs 16mm rebar) ties into another lighter load bearing ring beam (20x40 cm with 6 pcs 12 mm rebar) mid-span. That is, there is no supporting column at the juncture of...

There are load case A and B at different roof angle in the Figure 6-18A of ASCE-7, 05 [ 0 Answers ]

I need a help. There are load case A and B in the Figure 6-18A of ASCE-7, 05, but I could not figure out what is case A or B. I design a structure to protect equipments ( 480V transformer & switchgear) from raining and snowing. The steel deck roof is 15' -0" width x 51'-0" long, its slope is 1/2"...

Extending my home roof concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

I've added new room adjacent to my existing bed room, the old slab was extended about 2' outside the bed room as a shading. The company exposed the steel bars of the shading then bonded new bars and poured new slab integrated with the exposed bars. Is this the better way to do this job, is the new...

View more questions Search