Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nubinite Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2014, 09:58 AM
    My funds were stolen
    Hello, am wondering if I can take a legal action on a friend who stole my funds from south Africa to the US, I need help
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 18, 2014, 09:59 AM
    How did they steal them? The means used to take them can make a difference in what actions can be taken.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 18, 2014, 10:02 AM
    If the funds were truly stolen, that's a criminal act. Did you report it to the police?

May 18, 2014, 11:02 AM
    Thanks for the feed back
    Here is what happen Thanks for the quick response, I will do my best to tell you the whole situation. Am from Nigeria and I visit south Africa on business most times and I got interested in buying a house there so I discuss with my friend who stay there in south Africa and he helped me in buying the house but I had a little problem because I was a foreign I could not open an account over there and he had an account so I entrusted the funds with him so I told my friend tony to help keep the money believing that we could both come up with business ideals and the agents always give him the rent collected from the tenant because I kept the house on rent pending when I could have a permit in other to open an account(I was even thinking of buying a guest house if I had the money, I was doing this just to help my friend so he could make a living because whenever I visit I was always having to give him money which I did not like) during my visit last year because I was suspicious of so things and I asked he give about the money and he was giving me some excuses just for me to later find out that he is in the USA somewhere in Chicago trying to settle down and am even sure he maybe working or staying there illegal. I just need a professional advice on this matter because I want him to be brought to book. Thanks and my friend Tony is also from nigeria too

May 18, 2014, 11:26 AM
    First, did you have any contract, anything in writing, that indicates you gave him money to buy a house for you? Was he giving you the rental at all? Was the house purchased? If so, who's on the title?

If I'm following you, you purchased the house and were planning to use the income for your friend Tony? But Tony is not the person who you gave money to.

May 19, 2014, 04:29 AM
    The house is mine and the title is on my name tony was just collecting the rents on my behave that's all

May 19, 2014, 06:47 AM
    So what money was stolen? You gave some friend money to buy a house. Clearly the house was bought. So the money was used as purposed.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:10 AM
    So he is collecting the rent and not forwarding the monies to you?

May 19, 2014, 07:16 AM
    Yes he was not sending the money to me
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:17 AM
    Did you have a contract with him?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:19 AM
    ... I just need a professional advice on this matter because I want him to be brought to book. ...
    You need a real professional. That would be an attorney in South Africa, not anonymous people on a site such as this. You should have done so before you invested your money, actually.

The story about not being able to open a bank account because you were not a South African national has scam written all over it.

May 19, 2014, 07:26 AM
    No I don't have any contact because he is refusing the tell me his where about but just lately I was told he is Chicago I just want to know if there is any way to take a legal action against him
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nubinite View Post
    No I don't have any contact because he is refusing the tell me his where about but just lately I was told he is Chicago I just want to know if there is any way to take a legal action against him
    You need to contact an attorney.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:31 AM
    First step is to call the cops in SA and file charges for fraud. And in Nigeria.

May 19, 2014, 07:33 AM
    Okay I will do that but the problem is that he is not a citizen and am I sure he is stay there illegal
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:34 AM
    The cops aren't going to do anything. Scams like this are common in Nigeria. The OP needs to contact an attorney who specializes in international law with a sub-specialty in fraud.

May 19, 2014, 07:39 AM
    Thank you very much for the reply but can you recommend one for me or beta still link me to a site where I can find such lawyer
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nubinite View Post
    Thank you very much for the reply but can you recommend one for me or beta still link me to a site where I can find such lawyer
    Sorry, no. You will have to contact attorneys in your area of the world.

Let me ask you one or two questions. You say this is a friend. How well do you know him? Have you ever met him in person?

May 19, 2014, 07:45 AM
    Yes he is my friend and I have meet him just did everything by trust I guess he was not much of a friend
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:46 AM
    The issue, you are not cheated on the house purchase, just the rent. How many months no payment ? Have you changed agents and now getting paid for the rental?

You need to file charges where the house is located. And if you can locate him, sue him in civil court.

But the costs of internatoinal law suits may cost more, than the little you are owed on the rent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State misplaces funds, and funds not received, any ramifications? [ 1 Answers ]

My son has yet to receive his child support payments, from his father, even though there has been an order for a wage garnishment. The employer has been sitting on it, for over 1 month, and no remedy in sight! The only source of income, is spousal support, and now since my checks are mailed...

Stolen property [ 26 Answers ]

My friend stole a lawn mower worth 2 grand one night dropped it off in the woods to pick it up the next day I had no idea about this at all they used my truck by the way the next day I woke up early from where we were at and left he called me an hour later and said he needed a ride home so I went...

Stolen Money [ 1 Answers ]

Hey My ex-boyfriend and I had been together for 8 months. However during that time he hadn't been working much. When food needed to be paid for and fuel, I paid for it. When he moved into his new place, I paid for the bed, sheets etc. Problem is, I'm now in debt of $2000. Money that he owes...

Stolen Phone? [ 1 Answers ]

Cell phone was stolen and someone racked up a healthy bill calling guatemala until I cancelled it a day later... I have the numbers they were calling there... is there anything I can do about it..

View more questions Search