Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blessedme Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2014, 10:48 AM
    Can I be sued by the Agency for not signing the contract for abroad?
    I applied for this Agency to work abroad. Apparently there are issues with me and the agent for not stating the real process of my application. What I applied for is not the one that is stated in the contract. The agency told me that the government visa and the contract from the employer has just arrived. I've talked to the agent and because she was pissed off me. She said that she'll be cancelling my application (which is okay with me) But until now she did not tell the Agency about the matter. What is the best thing I can do? Thank you for your immediate response.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 16, 2014, 10:52 AM
    Until you sign a contract... you are under no obligations. If you have ANY doubts what so ever... do not sign it. If its not exactly as you expected it to be... don't sign it... the only terms that they can be held to honor are those in writing in the contract... anything not in it they "promised" you will be very lucky to see... and probibly won't. They will pretend they never made any such promisses.

Its doubly true with work contracts that have you abroad. You could find yourself paying your own way home if you quit before the contract is completed. YOu will almost certainly find, they don't do what they promissed or give you what they promissed. THe only thing you could even sue them for is what was promised IN WRITING in the contract that they did not deliver on. And if its not in writing.....then it was never promissed legally.

Trust me, as someone who has worked abroad on contract....you have to be very careful....and assume NOTHING.

May 16, 2014, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Until you sign a contract... you are under no obligations. If you have ANY doubts what so ever... do not sign it. If its not exactly as you expected it to be... don't sign it... the only terms that they can be held to honor are those in writing in the contract... anything not in it they "promised" you will be very lucky to see... and probibly won't. They will pretend they never made any such promisses.

Its doubly true with work contracts that have you abroad. You could find yourself paying your own way home if you quit before the contract is completed. YOu will almost certainly find, they don't do what they promissed or give you what they promissed. THe only thing you could even sue them for is what was promised IN WRITING in the contract that they did not deliver on. And if its not in writing.....then it was never promissed legally.

Trust me, as someone who has worked abroad on contract....you have to be very careful....and assume NOTHING.
    Re:Question

Thank you so much! Greatly appreciated. How about the visa? Do I have to pay for it? Coz they told me that I will be paying 400USD for the cancellation of my application.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2014, 11:17 AM
    That is possible. You need to read the paperwork. They may have had to outlay some money to process the Visa.

May 16, 2014, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    That is possible. You need to read the paperwork. They may have had to outlay some money to process the Visa.
    Even if the visa stated that if within two months without completing the process. The visa will have no effect. Do I still have to pay for it? Or wait till the two months is over?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 16, 2014, 12:13 PM
    Did you sign a contract? Yes or NO?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 16, 2014, 12:35 PM
    THe job I had overseas... was offered pending being granted a very high level security clearance. One that cost the employer over $100,000 at the time per person, this was in 1987.

After it went through, I renegotiated my pay offer at that point upwards by an additional $15,000 a year, went through training, then they started playing games literally a few days before the movers were coming to pack my stuff. But changing what I was promissed for a moving allowance... I almost walked away then. It was a sign of things to come. And things not put in writing were forgotten... and I had to fight tooth and nail to get. Luckily there were serious legal issues I caught them in I used as leverage to get what I was owed. But it wasn't without a fight...

I ended up being there 6 years... and the only parts of it that I have fond memories of were some of the people I knew working there... To this day I have nothing but contempt for the Boss, and the people above him... adn that company. Which no longer exists as the entity it did then.

I made a lot of mistakes at the time, by actually believing the prommisses and offers of that large Corporation. And trusting them too much.

I came ot the other end of that contract a far different person than the one that went into it... and was able to make the most from it and was able to meet the right people and not only turn a bad situation into a good one for me... but to use the same tools against at least some of the people who tried to take advantage of me. Something NONE of my co-workers were able to manage. Far too much to go into any detail...

Some of them felt those were years they would never get back, I absolutely hated that job... it was the non-job related experiences that got me through those years. Oddly enough I've spent more time in that town since I left... than I did the entire time I worked there. I still have the same friends there I had then, as well as my in-laws.

Sorry for going off on a tangent... just wanted to give some personal experiences working abroad, it can end up being a good, or a horribly bad experience... it will certainly be a very different one. Think long and hard before you sign... it might be very expensive to leave before the contract is over. I can't say if its worth it to you. Only you can do that.

Remember this... If its not in writing... it was never promissed. Don't decide based on anything that's not offered in writing, in the contract.

May 16, 2014, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Did you sign a contract? Yes or NO?
    No sir.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 16, 2014, 01:28 PM
    HAH, visa has arrived... I highly doubt it. The agency wants to be paid something, and they are hoping for $400 for a non existent visa. Don't believe anything told you!
    Why would they order a visa without money upfront? They know a certain number of people will drop out when they see how the job as changed.

Be strong. Just say 'I won't pay you a dime when you didn't deliver what you promised. And I'd be a fool to believe anything you say from now on.'
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 16, 2014, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
    No sir.
    Screw them then.

May 16, 2014, 01:59 PM
    I had the xerox copy of the said visa. It was on the piece of bond paper. Written some details, like permission to enter, etc. Does it look like that?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2014, 06:33 AM
    So you gave them a copy of your passport, to have the visa. In all cases I am aware of, a visa is printed in your passport.

So if you sent them your passport, you may have to pay fees for a real visa. To get your passport back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being Sued By Collection Agency [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am being sued by a collection agency. They DO have the original signed contract, 2 statements and the bill of sale. My question is the last statement is dated 3 month prior to the date on the bill of sale. Do you think I have any chance with that defense?

Being sued by a collection agency. [ 24 Answers ]

Ok, I though I had this all figured out, and how I was going to handle it. Now I am not sure. Back in September of 07 I received a summons, and a complaint on account. I answered the complaint on account, and sent them a list of questions to validate this debt. Then in Feb of 08, I got a...

Being sued by collection agency [ 2 Answers ]

I am from Illinois and I was summons to court last month got there late so a judgement was put against me. Court was still in session when I got there. When I saw a lawyer walk out I asked if my name was already called she went and checked and she told me I had a judgement against me I explained to...

View more questions Search